Souma BookAddict's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

bookshelves: read-in-2016, favorites, classics

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

I read this without even knowing what it’s about. There was no synopsis at the back of this book, so I had absolutely no idea what would happen or what it's about.

While reading, I enjoyed it when I thought it was about some children trying to discover the secret that is Boo Radley, but with the story progression, I realized it’s about much more than just that. Then I fell in love.

It doesn't just follow Scout's adventures. She's a perceptive and wise little girl, and reading about her adventures made me feel like a young child again. _Her relationship with her brother was really heartwarming and beautiful_ But also deals with the important issues of racism and prejudice that are, sadly, still highly relevant to this day.
“How can you hate Hitler so bad an' then turn around and be ugly about folks right at home?”

This book Is honestly a great book. I’v only read it once and I still remember every freaking scene like a damn movie!! That’s how much I love it!!

But the thing that really got me is when we could see Jem’s evolution as a character. When the book first started, he was immature, still a child, but as the story progresses, he started to see the world as it really is; cold and full of injustice.
He could finally decide by himself and was no longer a child. He was a good man in the making. By the end of the book he actually became a little bit like Atticus. And Atticus is a fine model.
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.” Attics Finch

The writing is absolutely gorgeous. It's simple and completely evocative and engrossing.

“Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.”

It is always nice when you find a character that enjoys reading as much as you do.

Quotes Souma BookAddict Liked

- Atticus Finch”

May 18, 2015 – Shelved
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
February 22, 2016 – Started Reading
February 23, 2016 –
page 172
53.09% "This book is amazing!!"
February 25, 2016 –
page 270
February 26, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
February 26, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
February 26, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2016 – Shelved as: classics

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Alp (new)

Alp Great review, Souma! :)

message 2: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)

Souma BookAddict Jessica wrote: "Awesome review sweetie :)"

Alp wrote: "Great review, Souma! :)"

Thank you !! :)

Yousra & Books Great review hun :)

Ana O Great review Souma :)

Souma BookAddict Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "Great review Souma :)"

Yousra wrote: "Great review hun :)"