Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~'s Reviews > The Girl With All the Gifts

The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

bookshelves: audiobook, year-2016, 4-star

Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

Before reading this I didn't even glance at the synopsis. This is a bad habit of mine, if a bunch of people I trust have liked a book I sometimes don't even bother seeing what it's about before adding it to my TBR. In this case, avoiding the synopsis was this book's saving grace because I'm not sure I would have picked it up if I hadn't.

It's well known among my friends that I very much dislike the "zombie/virus" theme. I just really don't find it interesting for the most part, and I think there's only so many ways to do it before it ends up being super repetitive. I do not watch The Walking Dead, I did not care for World War Z, never watched or played the Resident Evil Series, never played the Left 4 Dead, didn't like 28 Days Later, and disliked The Last of Us. You get the picture.

The only works in this category I have ever enjoyed are Warm Bodies, because it is different from the norm, Shaun of the Dead, because it's freaking hilarious, and Zombieland, because it is also hilarious.

But The Girl with All the Gifts was such a pleasant surprise, a diamond in the rough. So many wonderfully intricate characters to consider and questions to be answered.

When it comes down to it, are we willing to do what is best for others over what is best for ourselves? Do small atrocities get overlooked if they're committed in the name of preventing larger atrocities? Do we value our own lives enough to save them even when we feel as though we don't deserve life? Is blind faith enough to carry the spirit forward when the mind has mapped out every logical reason to give up?

This is absolutely a character and philosophy driven novel. M.R. Carey does an excellent job giving each person depth, keeping them interesting and realistic. The plot wasn't necessarily unique, but it was so enhanced by the characters that it almost didn't matter. I just wanted to know more about each one of them, and I loved watching them interact in the context of a zombie apocalypse. Sometimes these characters were so frighteningly real that I felt compelled think "What if this were me?"

Carey's writing style, ugh. I've probably never before read such elegantly crafted scientific language. Images just fell into place so smoothly in my head, I didn't get lost in even the heavier technical language. But it was so strange, because while being written so smartly, it was also written very informally? Whatever it was, it definitely worked for this novel.

Also I just want to quickly mention that I LOVED THE ENDING! Sometimes great books can have the wind knocked out of them by a crappy ending, but this was one of the best endings I have read in a long while.

I cannot wait to see the movie for this one! You can watch the trailer here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl With All the Gifts.

May 18, 2015 – Shelved
October 19, 2016 – Shelved as: audiobook
October 19, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 4, 2017 – Shelved as: year-2016
May 29, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

Celeste Great review, dear. I loved this book. It was so different!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Celeste wrote: "Great review, dear. I loved this book. It was so different!"

Thank you!! I loved it too! Like, I didn't expect anything that happened really. It was much better than your everyday average "zombie" story.

message 3: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Great review! I've been wanting to read this book for the longest time!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ KingSteph wrote: "Great review! I've been wanting to read this book for the longest time!"

Thank you so much! I really hope that when you do read it you love it. It was just so well written aughhhhhh!

message 5: by P (new) - added it

P Can't wait to see the movie :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ P wrote: "Can't wait to see the movie :)"

Oh me neither!! I heard it's really accurate to the book for the most part! *squeals*

message 7: by Zero (new)

Zero A smart review ;)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Pedro wrote: "A smart review ;)"

Thank you P! :)

message 9: by Zero (new)

Zero Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Pedro wrote: "A smart review ;)"

Thank you P! :)"

You're welcome, Pretty Lady

Happy New Week ;)

From: Peter Perry
but now: Pedro :D

message 10: by Eve (new) - added it

Eve Messenger Great review!! Yep, I gave TGWATG 4.5 stars too, and Miss Justineau is one of my all-time favorite characters. In the movie, though, they cast her as white. :-/

message 11: by Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (last edited Dec 03, 2016 11:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Eve wrote: "Great review!! Yep, I gave TGWATG 4.5 stars too, and Miss Justineau is one of my all-time favorite characters. In the movie, though, they cast her as white. :-/"

Thank you! I thought she was great too! Oh I heard about that! That instead they cast Melanie as black. I've no idea what caused that switch but I think they should've left that alone it felt important to the story that Ms. Justineau stay black, in my opinion.

message 12: by Petrik (new)

Petrik Em, have you seen the last of us 2 trailer? it just came out yesterday

message 13: by Petrik (new)

Petrik kazzexual wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Em, have you seen the last of us 2 trailer? it just came out yesterday"

OMGOMGOMGOMG

WHY MUST YOU DO THIS TO ME???

i have like, chills, GOD SO GOOOD"

Isn't it beautiful Em??? I got so many chills from that trailer, Joel and Ellie (19 years old) are back!!

message 14: by Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ (last edited Dec 04, 2016 01:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ kazzexual wrote: "how can you dislike the last of us? WHAT"

I should clarify. I did not like the game in game form. I probably would've enjoyed it much more as a book, I just hated the mechanics of the game & I hated how nervous I was while playing lol. The story was good & the graphics were lovely, but I have to restrict myself to watching play throughs online lol.

Stephen If liked you this book by Carey, definitely check out his earlier novel The Steel Segarlio, recently retitled The City of Silk and Steel in some markets. Terrific book! Worth seeking out.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Stephen wrote: "If liked you this book by Carey, definitely check out his earlier novel The Steel Segarlio, recently retitled The City of Silk and Steel in some markets. Terrific book! Worth seeking out."

Ooo I will definitely be looking that up! Thanks so much!

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ LOL I wasn't a huge fan of the gameplay more than the actual story itself, but generally no it's not something I really love even if I acknowledge it's a beautifully done video game!

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Amazing review, love! I, too, didn't enjoy the game-play of Th Last of Us, but I totally love the story, too! ...But, girl, we need to play Left 4 Dead 2 together and change your mind about that REAL QUICK LIKE. 💖xx

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Melanie wrote: "Amazing review, love! I, too, didn't enjoy the game-play of Th Last of Us, but I totally love the story, too! ...But, girl, we need to play Left 4 Dead 2 together and change your mind about that RE..."

Thank you Melanie!! I just found The Last of Us so frustrating to play! But I would totally give Left 4 Dead another chance girl pack your bags & come visit me!! *hugs* xoxoxo

The Bookish Austin It's. So. Good.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Austin wrote: "It's. So. Good."

AGREED.