Tina's Reviews > Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers

Breastfeeding Made Simple by Kathleen A. Kendall-Tackett

Oct 28, 2010

When I was pregnant with my 2nd baby I purchased this book. I wish I had bought this book with my 1st baby. Even though I nursed my 1st baby for 6 months, this book taught me so much! What was most useful was information on how to make sure your milk supply is adequate in the first 2 weeks after the baby is born. Basically you have to nurse/pump 8-12 times a day. This is what I did and it worked. It was hard work but you just have to keep at it for 2 weeks. Also it has a useful discussion of how breastfeeding becomes less work than bottle feeding at the 5 week mark which was more incentive for me to stick with it. Note that the book only focuses on the first 6 weeks, but basically you have the knack of it after that. This is a must read for any mother who breastfeeds, whether you're new at it or have breastfed before. The only area where I was disappointed was the discussion on engorgement. It seems that most breastfeeding books gloss over this, unfortunately for moms like me who have severe engorgement with both babies. The book advises you to nurse a lot which I did, but my engorgement was still really bad. My advice for moms with bad engorgement is to pump right away when it starts and use lots of ice and self massage. Don't wait till it gets out of control. Be extremely proactive!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breastfeeding Made Simple.