Angie Lisle's Reviews > Dry Bones

Dry Bones by Craig Johnson

I received an advanced uncorrected proof-copy of this book from GoodReads First Reads in exchange for a review. My review comes after the publication of the book because I decided to read the entire series.

I was introduced to Longmire the show before I read Longmire the book-series. Longmire the show is true to the books in the same way that Midsomer Murders is true to Caroline Graham's books: the show captures the essence of the characters but takes liberties with plots, which keeps both formats fresh for viewers.

Walt doesn't care about the politics surrounding the discovery of "the largest, most complete fossil of a Tyrannosaurus rex," ever found - right in Walt's backyard, Absaroka County, WY - until the murder of Danny Lone Elk, the owner of the land that contained the fossil. This case is difficult to solve because there are few clues; readers get stuck waiting with Walt, watching the emotionally charged sh*t-storm brewing among those who stand to inherit the dinosaur until Mother Nature forces a deus ex machina via a storm of her own, one that blows away all the emotional stench, allowing Walt - along with readers - to see the whos, whats, and whys behind the case.

The deviations between Longmire the show and Longmire the book-series continue to grow with each book, particularly in regard to personal relationships. And the gap between the two is now of Grand Canyon proportions.

Walt has an important conversation with his lover. Like every other book in this series, I have to wait for the next book to see what happens next. And poor, poor Cady. You'll get no spoilers, but I'm ready for the next book just so I can see what decisions she makes.

The way Johnson handles personal relationships is something I adore about this series. We get the briefest of snippets that only whet our appetites; if you want to appreciate the romance, you have to read every single book. It's a plot-device that Johnson handles well and it works because it keeps bringing me back for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dry Bones.

May 18, 2015 – Started Reading