Stewart Tame's Reviews > Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

Good book! Although I've not closely followed Mr. Lydon's/Rotten's career, I've generally enjoyed what I've experienced of it. He's more articulate and thoughtful and personable than one would expect if one knew him only as the lead singer of the Sex Pistols. This is actually the second autobiography of his that I've read. The first, Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs (or something like that. I'm relying solely on memory here) was largely concerned with the Pistols era. This volume goes into more detail on his childhood and post-Pistols career, which has been long and interesting. Among other things, it inspired me to unearth my old Public Image Limited CDs and have another listen. I was a bit disappointed to hear his comments on Jon Savage's book, England's Dreaming, as it's one of my favorite books on punk. It's depressing to think that any of it could be disputed. Having read both Lydon books, Savage, Greil Marcus' Lipstick Traces, and The Wicked Ways of Malcolm McLaren by MM (not to mention, watching The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle), it seems that there are several versions of Sex Pistols history. Lydon's version strikes me as the most credible of the lot, and he would certainly have been in a position to know. In any case, the book is highly entertaining, and well worth the time spent reading it. Cheers to John Lydon! It makes me smile to know that he's out there in the world enjoying life and working on whatever pleases him to work on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger is an Energy.

May 18, 2015 – Started Reading