Sheri's Reviews > The Altered

The Altered by Annabelle Jacobs

bookshelves: pnr

This is my second shifter book by Jacobs and I am pleased to say, I clearly see the growth and depth between the two books.
The first book, The Choosing, I read a few years ago left me disappointed with the superficial shifting. I have read an assortment of shifter books over the years and I prefer those with a strong link into what/why/how they shift. While I can appreciate the ease of ‘*blink* human to animal *blink*’ I crave the actual shift.
I want to know how the shift affects them.
I want to experience the change along with them.
I wanna feel it. Combined with the alpha (MINE) men, this is why I read PNR.
This time? I got it!

The story-line was distinctive, attentive and fresh. After their water was polluted with a foreign pathogen, adolescents either experienced ‘the change’ around puberty or they didn’t. Initially it wasn’t anything to be feared, until ‘altered’ children began to disappear for experimentation for a secret operation to create the perfect solider. Whoa, that’s scary.

Time moves a decade after the infection occurred and the shifters are living in hiding and most of them are in their mid-twenties. In addition to those altered (allowing them the ability to shift into a wolf), seers were also produced. A seer simply has the vision to detect altereds and determine the extent of their shifiting abilities. Most shifters only possess part of the enhancements but few were gifted (or cursed) with full shifiting capabilities.

Jordan and Daniel have an instant connection. Lightning bolts arc from across the room. BOOM. I love knock-you-off-your-ass greetings. Of course neither of them believe in mates and attempt to fight their magnetism from the get go. Stubborn silly boys! Not only are Jordan and Daniel easy to love, but the rest of their chosen families are playful and intriguing. I’m especially curious about Jordan’s second’s twin brother Sam. Sam has been favoring his canine side for the past eight years and refuses to shift back to human. Until he meets Ash and he may have found a reason to return to his two-legged form.

Action packed, highly strung sexual tension, and fierce pack loyalties- it’s got it all.

Occasionally it was rather tell-y, but it wasn’t distracting enough to bother me. I am rather discouraged when we are told something is going to happen….then it happens, but again this was sporadic enough to dismiss. And some of the dialogue was a touch immature for the boy’s age. However, when it came down to it- none of this held much water because I couldn’t put it down.

With this bright idea, vivid shifting, and fun-loving characters I can confidently say I will be back for the upcoming sequel.

*4 awesome-altering-alphas stars*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Altered.

May 18, 2015 – Started Reading
May 18, 2015 – Shelved
May 25, 2015 – Shelved as: pnr
May 25, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Sofia (new)

Sofia you're shifting a lot Sheri :D

Sheri Sofia wrote: "you're shifting a lot Sheri :D"

I know, right?
I can't seem to stop :P

message 3: by Sofia (new)

Sofia :D