Wilson's Reviews > Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education

Creative Schools by Ken Robinson

I picked this book up because Ken Robinson is a man with much more conviction and talent than I, who managed to make a place in the world which I very much value. This book gets 4 stars because I agree with him and his message.

I do not however agree with this book in total. It was inspiring, but shallow. It was informed but not necessarily detailed. Ken (and Aronica) said a lot of things that are hard to disagree with, but I still don't know quite what I gained from this book. Perhaps my circumstance as a student of education makes me different, but I'm sure I know less about it than most of the teachers, head-teachers, and advisors who this book was targeted at.

The phrase "as I mentioned in [my other book(s)]" cropped up an awful lot, and while there is overlap, certainly, it made it hard to see exactly what the book was presenting that was new. There were no detailed interviews or analyses, but rather short clips of speech or overviews of scenarios. No doubt Gladwell has spoiled me on those expectations though.

With that said, I still feel positively. It's a step in the right direction: an acknowledgement that the way we see schools at the moment isn't necessarily as they could be best seen. That we need to change what we expect, reserve snap judgements, and allow freedom and trust in visionaries to do what they believe is best. It is not one size fits all, and the book makes very compelling arguments, from many different angles, to this point.

In all, yes, I enjoyed the book, and yes I will recommend it to people.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creative Schools.

May 18, 2015 – Started Reading