Kirstie Ellen's Reviews > Empire of Storms

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: fae, fantasy, young-adult, favourites
Recommended for: Maas Fans

Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
I have no words. That was simply amazing. It's impossible to imagine how this series could get any better and then THIS happens. Empire of Storms completely blew my mind and repeatedly destroyed my soul. Good god, I need the next book - this is absolutely not okay where we left off and I am a RAGING BALL OF EMOTIONS. This cast of characters though, whew. Don't even get me started on all the feels and the relationships. Maas is a killer of a writer. I don't think I will ever love a series as much as I love this one.

A Note, Before the Spoilers
I was thinking about how I could write this review without being spoilery, it turns out that’s very difficult to do. Instead, I shall write a quick thing here of why anyone who has not read the this book or any other in the series should be reading this.

This book took me a long time to read. I really, really enjoyed it as I do with all of Maas’ books, but I’ve noticed that with this particular series it takes a little bit of time to get going. Perhaps that’s just me (I think it is) but I struggle to flop back into this world and truth be told, all I could really think of was how much I just wanted to reread A Court of Mist and Fury. Tis a tricky situation. Nonetheless! I can’t recommend this book/series enough. It’s insanely unique and wonderful. The adventure is to die for, the romance is so sizzling it’s virtually a barbecue, and the magic is zesty (zesty? What even is zesty).

I’ve seen some people talk about this series as being overrated or overhyped. Puh-lease. Read the book and you’ll see just how much credit the Maasinator deserves for writing this series. It is on a massive scale that simply cannot fail to impress - it is fair and square the YA version of A Song of Fire and Fire. The characters are rich and grow hugely, the plot is incredibly and very twisty, and you will be hooked, 100%.

So if you’re decided whether to read book one, or this book here, then please do yourself the favour of picking this up and squealing with delight because it is fantabulous.

(view spoiler)

Summary
There is a lot more I could ramble on about in this book but I’m going to leave it there. So yeah. Despite this taking me a long time to read and my initial doubts, this series is doing a pretty spectacular job of being incredible. I was blown away yet again by this book and utterly convinced by the ending and I needed book six like air. I can’t wait to see where this series goes next and I can only hope that once this series is finished Maas continues to write more - I simply cannot live without her books.

Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Storms.

May 16, 2015 – Shelved
May 16, 2015 – Shelved as: to-be-released
September 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 20, 2016 – Started Reading
September 21, 2016 –
page 35
5.05% "There is nothing more frustrating than only having time to read 10 pages of this at a time"
September 23, 2016 –
page 82
11.83% "ROWAN GET YOUR ASS HERE RIGHT NOW"
September 24, 2016 –
page 125
18.04% "I swear to god . . ."
September 25, 2016 –
page 140
20.2% "Much sad - BITE ME ALIEN BOY *swishes sword*"
September 27, 2016 –
page 200
September 28, 2016 –
page 250
36.08% "Oh I do miss Celaena sometimes XD"
October 5, 2016 –
page 315
45.45% "This is going to be good *grabs popcorn*"
October 6, 2016 –
page 370
53.39% "This is getting insanely good!"
October 7, 2016 –
page 400
57.72% "That moment when Dorian and Manon are in the same room *quietly explodes with excitement so as not to disturb*"
October 10, 2016 –
page 450
64.94% "I am officially declaring this inappropriate to read in public *blushes*"
October 10, 2016 –
page 475
68.54% "Holy fuck"
October 11, 2016 –
page 510
October 12, 2016 –
page 550
79.37% "Ahhh SO AWESOME AND PERFECT"
page 585
84.42% "I don't want this book to end!"
page 620
89.47% "I think I died about 100 pages ago."
page 640
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 13, 2016 – Shelved as: favourites
October 13, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Nikita can't wait to read your full review

Kirstie Ellen Nikita wrote: "can't wait to read your full review"

haha *collapses into heap*