Richard's Reviews > The Black Dahlia

The Black Dahlia by James Ellroy

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, crime

6/10

Peaks and troughs throughout this novel; I loved the style of writing, the era, the intrigue of the murder. But overall it felt a little bloated and some of the points didn't have the same impact if it was a tighter novel.

I liked the build up of the book. Others have said its slow and didn't add anything but I liked the background on the main characters and enjoyed Bucky's ascension through the ranks. I liked the trio too, Kay always coming across as a bit of an enigma. My attention just couldn't hold though and I lost some of the threads along the way. It just got a bit bloated in the middle for me and could have been a bit trimmed down.

I read the audiobook and the narrator came across very much like you'd expect a noir narrator to sound like. He did voices really well and he grew on me. Then he did a Scottish accent and I lost a fair amount of respect for him. I visit Scotland a couple of times a year and I've yet to meet one which sounds like a pirate. Apparently this is how Scottish people sounded in the 40's, I think not. Other than that small gripe he was a decent choice but I'd be tempted to read any future ones rather than listen.

Worth a punt and glad I finally got round to one of James Ellroy's books even if I wasn't totally blown away by it. I look forward to some more by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Dahlia.

May 16, 2015 – Shelved
May 16, 2015 – Shelved as: wish-list
March 4, 2017 – Started Reading
March 4, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
March 4, 2017 – Shelved as: crime
March 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ A bloated James Ellroy novel? Say it ain't so. Heh heh

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Cool cover, though.

Greg I've read this, I thought it was okay as my expectations were much higher.

William Thank you for the review.