Rachel's Reviews > Pictures of Hollis Woods

Pictures of Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff

Oct 27, 2010

I really liked this book! I thought it was a fabulous story of a young girl’s on adventure and struggles that make her and a woman stay together and overcome obstacles. I found this book most in part enjoyable because it is different from the perfect family. Everyone believes that they have a perfect family, but, Hollis is still trying to find her perfect family. She thinks that she has found it but, then a few things within the family lead her to believe that it may after all not be the “perfect” family she though she always had. She decides to run away with her friend Josie. Josie is much older than Hollis and she believes that she will lose Josie as a family member and the only way to escape the separation is to run. The two flee to a small cabin in the middle of nowhere. After a while the toll of being away from the family starts to make Hollis think that running away may have not been the option. Josie, becomes very homesick as well, Hollis is left to make some big decisions. Hollis may make a great decision to help her and Josie or is it to late? I really like this book because it shows what our society is like today. Different families, intermixed families and how they make things work. I feel that I would add this part of lesson just to show that families are different in today’s society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pictures of Hollis Woods.