Sunni's Reviews > Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex

Bonk by Mary Roach

Oct 27, 2010

it was ok

All I can think of while reading Mary Roach is "narcissistic". The addition of all of her stories about herself just don't work for me b/c they seem designed explicitly to draw attention away from the subject matter and onto herself (hey, look at me being quirky and cute and fumbling adorably). Don't get me wrong, I love and respect genre-bending, I love the personal essay, creative nonfiction, the insertion of personality into dry material, but I do not like the way Mary Roach does it with sledgehammer-like grace.

Not to mention that this book's subject matter, while somewhat fascinating, may well turn your stomach, sexually speaking. (Think: pig stimulation and orgasmic activity in dead bodies). Such interesting information does not need the overdone style of Mary Roach.

Did I say how irritating I find her? My god, it was hard to read this without wanting to reach through the book and slap her. It is interesting enough that you are telling me about a factory that makes vibrators; I don't need all the extra side anecdotes about your foray, which only serve to annoy me.

This has really turned me off from picking up any of her other books, no matter how compelling I might find the subject matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bonk.

08/09 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie That makes me sad! I really liked Stiff and was looking forward to reading this one.

Sunni Is she the same in Stiff? I just find her crazy irritating but it may be me. There are so many little side stories and all those cutesy tangents. Maddening!

But really? The content? Not super compelling for me. Lots about penile implants, ED and vibrator-induced orgasm. Large swaths of it were really quite boring to tell the truth. Not nearly as titillating as I thought it'd be!

message 3: by Christiana (new)

Christiana I really enjoyed Stiff.

Sunni Stiff on the whole seems far more interesting than Bonk. I just don't know if I can take any more of her 'personality'. ;)

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I don't remember a lot of personality in Stiff.. maybe it was an earlier book so she was sticking more to the facts!