Andrew's Reviews > If Jack Had

If Jack Had by Steven Rappaport

bookshelves: a-first-read, fiction, ebook, netgalley, reviewed-2015

I offer this review, having been given a pre-release copy, through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

From chapter one I liked this story. The character of Jack is subtly drawn out. I liked the parts from his early childhood. Where his determination and personality are explained. So this is how he ended up with such an unusual 'second job'.

With my English roots, I sometimes find that I miss some of your American humour. However in this book there are some clever humorous lines:

"Most of my life my father was fat, bald and sedentary. He found the gym at fifty and shaped up pretty much. But no amount of exercise grows hair."

"She was passionate, but mostly passionately mean. She was brilliant, with an off-the-chart IQ, but the emotional IQ of a bird."

He's full of himself and thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Sadly, that's true only if it is an empty room."

The way the story jumps to different stages in Jack's life helps to keep you guessing. You know where the end is, because you are told at the start. However there is something interesting about the end, when you get there.

I liked the way the story of Jack's life was told.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Jack Had.

May 15, 2015 – Shelved