Caitlin's Reviews > The Cat in the Cradle

The Cat in the Cradle by Jay Bell

Oct 26, 2010

liked it
Read in November, 2010

This was a good book. I enjoyed myself reading it, enough that I finished it in one day. The story was cute and engaging enough to hold my interest. There were a few problems I had with it, though, first and most importantly it's need to have been proofread one last time before publishing. It is riddled with grammatical and typographical errors, and that's just unfortunate. Second, the title has very little at all to do with the book, and only served to constantly get that annoying song stuck in my head (it's doing it now, too, in fact). And last, there was a pretty significant loose end that could quickly and easily have been tied up using a convention the author already introduced towards the end of the book, and I think it's a shame he didn't use it. It feels like he just sort of forgot about this loose end. On that same note, many of the events that ought to have sparked very emotional responses in the characters just didn't, or the emotional responses weren't fully explored which left the characters a little more flat than they could have been. All things considered, I liked this book, but would have loved to have been its editor in order to draw out its full potential.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat in the Cradle.

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay Bell I'll bite. What was the loose end that needed tying up? I'm always open to reader feedback, so please let me know. In regards to the editing, would you mind telling me what format you read the book in? Thanks for your review and honesty!

message 2: by Caitlin (last edited Nov 03, 2010 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caitlin Jay wrote: "I'll bite. What was the loose end that needed tying up? I'm always open to reader feedback, so please let me know. In regards to the editing, would you mind telling me what format you read the book..."

First of all, I bought a print version of the book, trade paperback, on Amazon. The errors were mostly to do with punctuation, and there was a rare misused word or two. But the loose end was Rano. (Hm, can't find a way to spoiler tag this, so I guess I'll just say, spoilers coming up!)

I was shocked when I found out it was Rano who'd died in the beginning, and I just felt that it would have freaked Dylan out at least as much as it did me. The more I thought about it, the more I felt badly for Rano, too--having never fully felt his father's approval, then thinking he'd finally earned it just to have him turn around and murder him. Ouch! I think it would have been really interesting to run into him in the Ghost House; he certainly had enough "unfinished business," as it were, to wind up there, I figure!

But as I said before, I did really enjoy your book. I rarely find books that keep me engaged enough to finish in one day anymore!

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Bell Ah, okay. Rano could have used a little more love. I came very close to having him rescue Dylan when he was being dragged into the inferno by the Drake. Then I realized that a few chapters later I would be having Tyjinn sweep in to do something similar, and didn't want to steal his fire. That, and I suspect Rano was a coward. Regardless, I like your idea of an emotional scene with him in the ghost house. Now where's my time machine? ;)

Sorry about the typos. There was a lot of last minute rewrites and I was also very impatient to get my first book out there. I promise to be more patient with the next one. Probably. MAYBE!

Thanks for all the feedback and especially for reading!

Caitlin Jay wrote: "Ah, okay. Rano could have used a little more love. I came very close to having him rescue Dylan when he was being dragged into the inferno by the Drake. Then I realized that a few chapters later I ..."

I may just have to write a fanfic *shifty glance*

I understand! Stress and excitement and everything. It's something you really just need to have someone who's never seen the material before read through and pick out. It's mostly just a bummer, and not really your fault, anyway!

You're welcome! Thank YOU for writing such a fun book!