Sandi's Reviews > Dreadnought

Dreadnought by Cherie Priest

bookshelves: sci-fi, audiobooks, 2010

Cherie Priest's Dreadnought is set in the same alternate history as Boneshaker but really doesn't connect with it until the last couple of chapters. It's the story of a Confederate Civil War nurse who receives a letter telling her that her husband, a Union soldier, has died. A couple of days later, she receives a telegram telling her that her father is dying and wants to see her. So, she sets off to travel from Virginia to Tacoma to see him for the first time since she was a little girl. (For some reason, I was confusing Tacoma with Spokane, so I had her traveling to the wrong part of the state.) In this version of American History, the Civil War has raged for more than twenty years and Texas is it's own country. As happens in war, technology rises up to help in the fighting and destruction. Once Mercy sets off for Washington, she faces one danger after another, each worse than the one before.

I think Priest made a good choice in choosing a journey to tell this story. It allows her to show what is happening in North America without using a lot of boring exposition. While Boneshaker showed us a microcosm of this world, Dreadnought expands the view to cover the continent.

The pacing of this novel is amazing. It starts off slow (for just a short time) and builds to a breakneck speed, mirroring Mercy's journey. I really enjoyed all the action, even the battle scenes. This book would make a great movie.

I don't have much to say about Kate Reading's narration. It fit seamlessly with the story and was quite good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadnought.

October 26, 2010 – Started Reading
October 26, 2010 – Shelved
October 26, 2010 – Shelved as: sci-fi
October 26, 2010 – Shelved as: audiobooks
October 29, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
October 29, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

KristenR wait...did you not read the second book? Are they completely independent stories?

Sandi KristenR wrote: "wait...did you not read the second book? Are they completely independent stories?"

As far as I can tell, the second book was only put out as a limited edition and a Kindle edition. It never seemed like I was missing anything I needed to know by not having read Clementine. This book stands alone pretty well until the last two chapters. Unlike Boneshaker, this ends with a total cliffhanger. I'll try to get my review written tonight or tomorrow.

KristenR Ahh...I just requested Clementine from the library. It really must have been a limited edition since there are only 4 copies in our entire library system. It'll bug me if I don't read it before Dreadnought :)

Sandi I just read on the series website that Clementine is supposed to be available in paperback and ebook this fall. Cherie Priest says that you don't need to read it to read Dreadnought. It's only connection is being set in the same universe and it shares some very minor characters.

message 5: by Brad (new)

Brad From the sound of your review I will like Dreadnought much more than Boneshaker.

Sandi Brad wrote: "From the sound of your review I will like Dreadnought much more than Boneshaker."

It is a much better book.

KristenR Well then, since I really liked Boneshaker, then I should really love Dreadnought....I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks so much!

Celia She doesn't get a letter about her husband, she gets told in person.

Eric Lewis Clementine is not considered the second book, but an in between. Goodreads numbers it 1.1. Still a good read, but not a must before reading Dreadnaught.

Sandi, you mirrored my thoughts exactly. The story gives the reader enough information about the world without moving away from the story.