Kristi's Reviews > Something like Normal

Something like Normal by Trish Doller

Oct 26, 2010

bookshelves: own-ebook

Travis is home after being in Afghanistan. Things aren’t exactly how he left him. His parents marriage is barely hanging on by a thread. His girlfriend is now dating his younger brother, who is also driving his car.

But the biggest change in Travis’s life now that he’s back, is Travis himself. He’s not only struggling with the emotional scars of war but the loss of his best friend.

I wasn’t sure if I would like this book. It didn’t really seem like my kind of thing, but I gave it a try. And I loved it.

It really hit a chord with me personally. I have a Travis in my life. A younger cousin who is about Travis’s age and like Travis is a Marine. Thankfully my cousin, unlike Travis, came out of his experience relatively unscathed.

Travis’s voice will hook you. It’s harsh but it’s realistic. You can’t help but empathize with his struggles. Like the whole issue with his ex-girlfriend. It’s totally messed up, and at times he so DOES not deserve Harper and all her goodness. Yet, you will be rooting them. Just wait, you will! And it will be because you can’t help but love Travis.

His relationship with his mother is probably what impacted me the most. How involved she was supporting him while he was away and then once he returns. That is what a mothers love is. That lady had me in tears!

There are a lot of serious issues in this books, but don’t think that it’s devoid of humor. There are some snort laughing worthy moments that give the entire story a nice balance.

A FABULOUS contemporary debut novel. You will want to read this one.

My two word review: READ IT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something like Normal.

message 1: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Doller Hey, Kristi! Thanks for adding my book.

Kristi So excited to read it!

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Lane Awesome review! Looks great--I love books that bring on the tears.