Lou's Reviews > I Am Not A Serial Killer

I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells

Oct 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: july-read, audio-book

John cleave has all the makings of a killer that 'McDonald triad' theory cruelty to animals, pyromania and bed wetting and his name to boot has strains of killing in it as he is son of Sam, Sam Cleaver and cleaver as in a weapon of choice to murder. I learned a bit about embalming, sociopaths, serial killers and formaldehyde in this story. He was dissecting animals by the age of 8 and increasing in behavioral problems and had to regularly visit a psychologist. With all this happening to a now 15 year old he meets his match a real killer.
The story becomes more about another killer and that's when i started to find the story head into a bit of a silly theme. Should i spoil the story and tell you what happens i think i won't because you just might like it. I can see what the writer was trying to do to a subject that has been overly written by authors, he tried to sound a bit Dexterish with with some strange paranormal twist. The story started good frist few chapters but did not deliver some really good writing for me in the end.

Some info on Macdonald triad, that i fished from the net.

The Macdonald triad (also known as the triad of sociopathy) is a set of three behavioral characteristics that are associated with sociopathic behavior. The triad was first identified by J.M. Macdonald in "The Threat to Kill", a 1963 paper in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

The triad links animal cruelty, obsession with fire setting, and persistent bed-wetting past the age of five to violent behaviors, particularly homicidal behavior.[2] Although other studies have not found statistically significant links between the triad of violence and violent offenders, many serial killers exhibited these behaviors during childhood. Contract killer Richard Kuklinski, serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer and serial killer Dennis Rader all engaged in acts of animal cruelty.

In a study involving hospitalized patients [Macdonald] focused on patients who had threatened to kill rather than on patients who had killed, although some subjects later committed homicide. His sample consisted of forty-eight psychotic and fifty-two non-psychotic patients. He found that sadistic patients often had three characteristics in common in their childhood histories. These factors... consisted of chronic bedwetting, firesetting, and torturing small animals.

Further studies have suggested that these behaviors are often the product of parental neglect, cruelty or trauma, and that such events in a person's childhood can result in "homicidal proneness".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Not A Serial Killer.

October 26, 2010 – Shelved
July 16, 2011 – Started Reading
July 16, 2011 – Shelved as: july-read
July 16, 2011 – Shelved as: audio-book
July 16, 2011 –
30.0% "Kill kill kill we need some other characters here maybe Clarice Starling. I am learning about embalming, McDonald triad and sociopaths. Strains of Dexter."
July 20, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 21, 2011 –

message 1: by Misha (new) - added it

Misha Bella I'm adding

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lou Don't rush to read it it becomes a bit silly after the fitprst few initially good chapters.

Keri Maybe I should rethink this one...I have it on my TBR.