Ray's Reviews > God at War: The Bible & Spiritual Conflict

God at War by Gregory A. Boyd

it was ok

Some good scholarship here. But continuing the war metaphor, this book wins the battle (defending God's goodness) but losing the war (jettisoning God's attributes). A terrible disappointment. Read John Frame's *No Other God* (2001) or Millard Erickson or Bruce Ware (or C.S. Lewis years before the fact!) on the deep problems with Boyd's Open Theism.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God at War.

Started Reading
January 1, 2003 – Finished Reading
January 17, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Steffan (new)

Steffan Bard I think one of the main problems with open theism is exactly that - at the expense of defending God's goodness, God's other attributes (which indeed can be hard to "reasonably" square with everything else) are ignored or even torn down.

I think the Augustinian high view of providence is the more mystical view in that it is committed to both God's control and God's goodness and where we cannot understand how that plays out we don't deny one or the other (like the open view does in favor of God's goodness), but we trust in both.

James Spiegel's "The Benefits of Divine Providence" helped me work through these things when I formerly was believing in a very low and even open view you could say - due to my own personal suffering and depression.