diana's Reviews > The Rose & the Dagger

The Rose & the Dagger by Renée Ahdieh

I've had a high regard for Renee Ahdieh ever since I read The Wrath and The Dawn. She's one of the few authors I love whose writing is just beyond magic. She's a great storyteller and has this way with words that lures you.

The Rose and the Dagger is high on my most anticipated sequels of 2016 list. You know that feeling you get when you're so ready to sell your soul or your firstborn child just to get what you want? Yeah. That's exactly how I felt with The Rose and the Dagger. Alas (and to my great luck) I didn't have to do any of those. But damn the wait was excruciating. I've wanted to read this book as soon as I finished The Wrath and The Dawn because Khalid and Shazi are my newest OTP and that ending? That was cruel.

So yes. This was me when April 26th rolled around.

description

So why the four stars you ask? Please don't hate me for saying this but I guess I just expected... more you know? After all the build up in book one I expected A LOT of bloodshed and intense fight scenes. Not that I wanted any of our beloved characters to die (well except maybe the sultan of Parthia). It's just... it felt like I needed wanted more. I won't give too much details about this but I have to say I don't think I'd be that civil and reasonable if faced with the same circumstances.

Having said that though, I still never wanted the book to end. Renee Ahdieh threw a lot of surprises my way and I love her all the more for it. There were a few intriguing character additions and how I wish there was a third book just to get to know them better. I love how the characters all came together in this installment. That scene with Irsa and Khalid? Asdfghjkl!! I didn't think my heart could survive that! I had this huge grin on my face my sister was looking at me like I've lost my mind. Gaahhh!! Have I mentioned just how much I love Khalid? No? Well I'm telling you now. I FREAKIN' LOVE THAT GUY. And Shazi, Irsa, Despina, Jalal, Tariq, the Rajput and Rahim. I need more books with these characters!! This cannot be the end for them. *fingers crossed*

All in all this was an AMAZING sequel. I cried. I smiled. I swooned. I laughed. I got frustrated. And my heart most certainly got broken.. in a good way.. I think (thanks a lot Renee).

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rose & the Dagger.

May 13, 2015 – Shelved