Peach's Reviews > I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl

I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl by Gretchen McNeil

bookshelves: 2016-releases, young-adult, arc, contemporary-romance, dang-you-funny, diversity-yay, love-love-love

(...) I pointed my finger in Jesse's face. "I don't want you anymore. And I certainly don't have to put up with your shit. I deserve to be treated better, and so does Toile."

"I do?" Toile said.

"Yeah," I said. "You don't have to settle for a boyfriend who only likes you when you're getting attention from the popular people. He should like you all the time. No matter who you are."

This is the book I wish I had in high school.

It's so...empowering. Seriously, girls, women, ladies, you will love this. Guys, too. It does take a minute to grow on you, and it takes you through a roller-coaster of dramatics and emotions. But it's real, and no lie, I cried a little.

Beatrice Maria Estrella Giovannini (what a mouthful of a name, but no judging) enjoys mathematics and formulas and is striving for MIT. She and her guy friends, Spencer and Gabe, are super close. When she gets a boyfriend, Jesse, he disrupts their circle and not even a formula could fix that. However, Jesse doesn't enjoy hanging with the nerds and when a new girl, Toile, moves to school, he's entranced by her. Along with the rest of the popular kids, who immediately welcomes her into their group.

Toile, who is a manic pixie dream girl in every sense of the word, eats up Jesse's charm and eventually Jesse dumps Beatrice for her. I was waiting for a toilet joke. Sadly, one never came. PS: I believe, her name is pronounced like tulle?

"Manic pixie dream girl!" Gabe practically shouted. "Of course."

It was like they were speaking a language. "A manic pixie what what?"

"Have you ever read Paper Towns?" Gabe asked.

I shook my head.

"Do you know who Audrey Hepburn is?"

"Or Zooey Deschanel?" Gabe suggested.

Understandably, Beatrice is devastated. Her friends introduce her to the manic pixie dream girl trope and she copies Toile's, well, everything in an attempt to win Jesse back, essentially becoming Trixie. (Admittedly, I was a little worried here. It comes off a little "I'm gonna change myself for a guy and he's gonna love ME instead" but it eases out of that.)

Okay, so wow, I related like crazy to this. A year ago, I would've been shouting, "Girl hate!" but it's such innocent fun and humor. Also, I know a girl like Toile, so I was cackling.

Beatrice/Trixie's best friends, Gabe and Spencer, are trying to get it in with the populars as well. For a second, I was convinced Spencer was not-straight. Plus, his personality is a little sucky. As the novel progresses, he and Beatrice steadily move into the beginnings of a relationship. It's quite cliché-y, but it works. Jesse is the type of boy who checks out other girls and walks away in the middle of conversation when you're talking to him, and Toile is the terrifying mash-up of every Zooey Deschanel character in existence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'm Not Your Manic Pixie Dream Girl.

May 13, 2015 – Shelved
May 13, 2015 – Shelved as: 2016-releases
May 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 13, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 3, 2016 – Started Reading
November 3, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
page 103
29.26% "I think everyone knows about the manic pixie dream HURL in Ruby Sparks tbh"
page 119
33.81% "Wowww, I'm slowly beginning to hate the "message" of this novel"
page 158
44.89% "This book is hysterical omg"
November 7, 2016 –
page 298
84.66% "Wowwww, no lie, I love this book"
November 8, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
November 8, 2016 – Shelved as: dang-you-funny
November 8, 2016 – Shelved as: diversity-yay
November 8, 2016 – Shelved as: love-love-love
November 8, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Oh I cannot wait for this one!!! Great review : )