Kat O'Keeffe's Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

This book was fantastic! A thrilling survival story with a hearty dose of humor. The main character Mark was such a smartass and I LOVED IT. The voice and the premise hooked me in right away and kept me thoroughly engaged the whole time. My only real issues were that some of the minor characters didn't really stand out as much as they could've, and some of the science heavy bits were a little hard to follow and felt info-dumpy at times. But the human aspect--the heart of the story--was totally on point, and for the most part I just had a great time reading this!

Overall, this book was exciting and fun and oh man, am I excited for the movie! I would definitely recommend this to anyone who likes survival stories or funny thrillers or sci-fi with an emphasis on the sci!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

May 13, 2015 – Shelved
May 13, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 15, 2015 – Started Reading
September 19, 2015 –
page 125
September 21, 2015 –
page 257
September 21, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

message 1: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma I was wondering whether to read this before I see the film. Some reviews mention it may be a bit heavy on the science, but the humour aspect appeals..

FoxClouds It is a fantastic book, isn't it? The movie has a different feel to it though. I can't say I was disappointed, but it was a bit too flashy and Hollywood-y for my taste.

Julia Reading now and I love it!! And I love Mark Watney!

Olivia Ann Schwab I'm almost done and so far I completely agree with this review!

Mina Can't wait to pick this up and start it tomorrow ~ hopefully can see the movie next week too

message 6: by Can (new) - rated it 4 stars

Can *spoiler *

Only thing i didnt like was the end i mean it was soooo unclear

Ingrid The end was pretty clear

message 8: by Books (new) - added it

Books I'm currently reading this book and it is so funny!!!! ahahaha

message 9: by Sian (new) - added it

Sian Hutchinson Oh Im super excited I just ordered it and should have it within the next week !!

message 10: by Sujata (new) - added it

Sujata Raj THE MOVIE IS COMING !!

message 11: by Ali (new)

Ali I'm going and try to read this before I see the movie.

message 12: by Malena (new)

Malena Winderbaum I'll have to read it before the movie comes out then :D I looove smartass and/or badass characters <3

message 13: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Really excited about this book, definitely going to read before the film. It's obviously going to be better- mind you, the trailer looks quite good...

shannonbookishlife im hopefully going to pick this book up very soon

Dhinesh nice review. I finished this book during my travel last week. now excited to watch movie next week.

message 16: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Watching the movie tomorrow

message 17: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Watched it yesterday. AMAZING!

Spencer omg and

Spencer tartarus lol

Spencer goodnight moon was wayy better

Spencer i also liked the cat in the hat

Spencer that book wa so sexy

Spencer mm cat in the hat was a good book
it was so....sexy

Spencer fuck

Spencer and cat in the hat
it was so... s.e.x.y

Spencer hello

Kaitlin so far good though I agree that it can be a bit science heavy

Doug Szczecinski i know right.I am 11 and my dad read it to me and i loved it.The book i so much better than the movie

Doug Szczecinski love it :)

message 30: by Siddharth (new) - added it

Siddharth Krishna Hi Kat,

I agree with you for sure!

The book is very interesting and exciting!

Mark is a good main character and his character role was amazing in The Martian! He was such an amusing yet smart character who suits best in this book!

There should have been more involvement with other characters in the book to make it more interesting and make the story feel a bit more realistic. I feel it should have focused mostly on Watney's survival, but also more parts of the other characters in the book. They are mentioned not very often, which sometimes make you feel bored of the book at sometimes.

As Rick Riordan has mentioned too, the science is very hard to follow making it confusing or sometimes hard to follow.

Overall, I would also reccomend this book for people interested in science and space!