♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Midnight Alias

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, romantic-suspense

3.5 Stars

Midnight Alias
continues the story of Jim Morgan’s mercenary crew and Noelle’s chameleon assassins teamed up again in another thrilling mission. We get Luke’s romance this time and who’d have thought the sexy, charming ladies man would fall so head over heels for a woman so quickly, but Olivia drew him in like a moth to a flame.

Olivia went to work as a dancer/stripper when her mother got sick with cancer and her work at a restaurant wasn’t paying the bills. Angelo, the club’s owner and unknown to Olivia, mob guy, zeroed in on her when she started working, but she was always able to fend off his advances. Unfortunately, the situation turned from bad to worse since Angelo took advantage of a situation and now has Olivia under his thumb. She became his “girlfriend”, more from him saying it was so, and now has to think of ways to keep him at bay and not sleep with him. Olivia’s is hemmed in a suffocating position closing in all around her. But she’s is biding her time, saving her money to make her escape. She gets more than a chance to escape when Luke crashes into her life and into her heart.

Luke, the sexy Cajun operative in Jim Morgan’s band of mercenary soldiers is part of the unit assigned by the DEA to track down their undercover agent gone missing at Angelo’s club. The club is partially a front to launder money for the mob in their drug dealing business, and unknown to Olivia, Angelo is an integral part of the operation. When Luke meets Olivia as “Livy Lovelace” her nervous fear sends up red flags and also a potential in with Angelo and the inter-workings of the club, but Luke sees Olivia as more than just an asset to their case. He’s taken with her the first moment he lays eyes on her and as he gets to know her, the attraction burns even brighter.

Midnight Alias
is my third book in the Killer Instincts series by Elle Kennedy while it was my least favorite of the series so far, it still was an action packed, enjoyable read. I think the situation with Angelo, the current villain creeped me out and was a bit unbelievable. I mean, what mob boss would allow his girlfriend, a stripper, put him off and delay sex for more than six months? At any rate, Luke and Olivia’s romance was hot even if a little sudden. I have to say Trevor and Olivia’s chapters caught my attention more than the main couple’s romance and I was a bit crushed by the ending. No worries, though, I just finished the next book, Midnight Games, Trevor and Isabel’s story, and it did not disappoint! It’s my favorite of the series so far. Maybe tied to Midnight Action, Noelle and Jim’s story, but more on that to come soon.

If you’re a fan of romantic suspense, the Killer Instincts series is not to be missed. Elle Kennedy is a pro at sucking you into a story and making it impossible to put down. Danger, excitement, suspense along with a wickedly hot romance is the standard for this series.

A copy was kindly provided by Signet in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight Alias.

May 12, 2015 – Started Reading
May 12, 2015 – Shelved
May 12, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 12, 2015 –
2.0% "That cover, those muscles! O_O"
May 16, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery
January 2, 2016 – Shelved as: romantic-suspense

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» Wonderful review, Rachel! Glad you enjoyed this, even with your reservations. I seriously cannot wait to start this series. Maybe put this at the top of my to-read list! :D xo

message 2: by Baba (new)

Baba  Great review, Rachel!

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Sexy Cajun!!! :D Wonderful review, Rachel.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy Awesome review, Rachel! :)

message 5: by Ksenia (new)

Ksenia Wonderful review, Rachel! I agree with your point about relationship between Olivia and Angelo, but I don’t actually mind unbelievable plot in my romantic suspense if there are action and steamy romance. Now that I think of that I can look past many things in this genre, while I’m more critical of YA.

message 6: by Rag (new)

Rag Greatly done babe!

♥Rachel♥ Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "Wonderful review, Rachel! Glad you enjoyed this, even with your reservations. I seriously cannot wait to start this series. Maybe put this at the top of my to-read list! :D xo"

Oh, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have been. And thanks! :)

♥Rachel♥ Rag wrote: "Greatly done babe!"

Christy wrote: "Awesome review, Rachel! :)"

Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter wrote: "Great review, Rachel!"

Thank you! <3 :)

♥Rachel♥ Laura wrote: "Sexy Cajun!!! :D Wonderful review, Rachel."

Love them accents, Laura! I just can't resist. ;) And thanks! :)

♥Rachel♥ Ksenia wrote: "Wonderful review, Rachel! I agree with your point about relationship between Olivia and Angelo, but I don’t actually mind unbelievable plot in my romantic suspense if there are action and steamy ro..."

I totally agree with that, Ksenia. Romantic suspense is a little out there sometimes with all the danger not usually encountered in real life, so it's easier to overlook. Thank you! :)

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party Lovely review, Rachel! :)

♥Rachel♥ David "proud member of Branwen's adventuring party" wrote: "Lovely review, Rachel! :)"

Thank you, David! :)