Kate's Reviews > Animals In Translation

Animals In Translation by Temple Grandin

Oct 25, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, non-fiction
Recommended for: animal lovers, dog lovers, behaviourists
Read in October, 2010

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!

It's not often that I give a non-fiction book a complete 100% approval, but honestly, Animals in Translation had me completely hooked. Temple Grandin via her co-author Catherine Johnson has such an approachable voice and discusses animals without sentimentality, but with huge respect and affection.

The chapters which are about behaviours, whether animals feel pain, how they think, whether they have language and others are simply structured, but flow nicely, keeping my attention and drawing me on. I was utterly fascinated by Grandin's stories of dogs who didn't appear to feel pain (typical labrador!), horses scared of black hats and parrots who were exceptionally clever (the parrot story is absolutely amazing, I laughed out loud).

If you like animals, have a dog or cat, are interested in psychology or the history of co-evolution (dogs and humans brought each other up), you should read this book. I cannot recommend it highly enough, it's wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals In Translation.