Yoni Esterman's Reviews > Unselfish: Love Thy Neighbor as Thy Selfie

Unselfish by Paul D. Parkinson

** spoiler alert ** Today's generation is obsessed with the selfie, this we know. According to Parkinson, it is a symptom of the selfish nature of man, and lexically-speaking, he's on the right track. However, the Ten Commandments argued against the selfish nature. When Y'shua simplified what the Torah stood for, He said it was to "love HaShem" and to "love thy neighbor as thyself." In this consideration, Parkinson's book premise is a prescriptive tone to overcome the self (ie/ish) approach: 99 inspirational tales of those who put someone else first, thereby loving thy neighbor as thy self, or in a modern sense, selfie.

The book is filled with tales designed not just to inspire, but motivate and restore hope. Whereas today's world is cutthroat and dark, there is a movement that is more powerful than "paying it forward" at Starbucks...a movement that transcends generational and geographic divides. Filled with tales from celebrities and folk just like you and me, this book has done extremely well in initial sales and for good reason - it is a marker of a needed change in society.

On a personal note, I enjoyed reading some of the tales, particularly those by a few folks I work with professionally. The team over at Believers Press is great, and it was a joy to get closer insight into their lives. I hope you enjoy the uplifting tales as well...it will restore your hope in humanity.

Disclosure: I was contracted to write an honest review in exchange for a reviewer copy of the product. The opinions stated in this review are solely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unselfish.

Started Reading