Book-Bosomed blog's Reviews > Just Say When

Just Say When by Kaylee Ryan

liked it

Ava Mae Evans and Nate Garrison have been crushing on each other for years. When their paths cross again, they find the same pull they had since their teen years.

This is a pretty sweet, angst-free story of two old “friends” that get the chance to reconnect and have a real relationship, their only perceived obstacle being her older brother, his best friend.

I have to be honest; their “perceived obstacle” grated the feminist side of me. Ava is a college student, turning 20—an adult. Why she needs her big brother’s approval on whom to date simply felt archaic. I get that most brothers don’t want to see their little sister taken advantage of, but this was simply not the case here nor were we given any indication that Nate had been a man-whore in the past to which he wouldn’t be trustworthy with her heart. On top of that, her brother isn’t even around, and when he does show up…well to avoid spoilers I’ll just say he’s not someone, based off his attitude, whose opinion I’d value.

If you enjoy a bit of an old-fashioned love story, then you won’t have any issues with this one. However, if you prefer a strong female lead who doesn’t let her life be run by putting other people’s overbearing ideas ahead of her own feelings, then Ava Mae will certainly disappoint you. As for Nate, his personality was a little too “she’s mine” right off the bat—I think I craved either a little more background or build-up— but as the story reached its climax, he seemed to be the one with the most common sense. Overall, an okay read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Say When.

Finished Reading
May 12, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Book-Bosomed  blog Isabella wrote: "Great review, B-B!"
Thanks!

message 2: by EliseSReads (new)

EliseSReads Great review, BB.

Book-Bosomed  blog Elise wrote: "Great review, BB."
Thanks!