Kaitlin's Reviews > Equal Rites

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett

19126246

This is book 3 (publication order) of the Discworld books and after having read and enjoyed both The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic last year I was quite looking forward to getting into some of the books which major fans of the series say are good. I can definitely say that this one is a lot better then The Colour of Magic in both writing style and ease of understanding. By this point it seems the Pratchett had really honed and perfected his tone of voice and writing style, just the right amount of sark-y meets funny meets thoughtful.

This is book 1 of the Witches series (which is a series within the overall Discworld series) and it's a wonderfully fun beginning to what no doubt promises to be a fun journey. We get to meet Granny Weatherwax who is a Witch and is firmly set in her ways and ideas, at least until something comes along to throw a spanner right in the works - Esk. Granny is a great character with a lot of charm which more than makes up for her abrupt and somewhat dismissive attitude. She's the sort of person I think everyone has maybe met in real life before, she likes to believe she's right and she loves to be respected. Whenever she's wrong, she's not actually wrong, there must be some error along the way. She's also very proficient as a witch unlike some others we encounter in the book. Overall she's a pretty likeable and slightly intimidating character.

The other main character we meet is actually the one that the story really revolves around. Her name is Esk and she is the 8th son of an 8th son (but she's not... she's a girl). When a wizard comes looking for the 8th son of an 8th son in order to pass on his magic and staff he doesn't quite realise the mistake he's made until he's long gone and the wizard magic lies dormant within Esk. Esk is a young child, aged 8 when the story really begins, and she is a very inquisitive and actually very bright young child. She likes to think that she knows a lot, but she's always ready to learn more and she definitely does so through the story. I found her to be instantly fun to read about, and her story just got better as it went.

One element I absolutely adore from Pratchett is his ability to make heavy or thoughtful topics a central theme or part of the book without it bringing down the tone in any way. When you read his books it always feels easy and fun, and there's never a dull moment of a lull in the writing because it's written to be a bonkers world that will entertain you. It's a fabulous concept and I have to say nothing makes me happier than knowing that I still have over 35+ books left in the series. I can't wait!

A solid 4*s - really readable and fun, and highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Equal Rites.

May 12, 2015 – Started Reading
May 12, 2015 – Shelved
May 12, 2015 –
page 26
10.16% "Been craving something fun recently and this seems like just the thing :-)"
May 12, 2015 –
page 75
29.3% ":D :D :D I'm feeling ill today and not really wanting to do anything, but this book is keeping me smiling :)"
page 96
page 127
page 170
page 207
May 16, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kate I've been reading A Slip of The Keyboard, his non-fiction pieces and even Pratchett himself says that the first few aren't the best places to start with Discworld. Having read them out of order myself, I also noticed the difference. The series is definitely one that gets better and definitely one exploring more of even if someone didn't think highly of the first.