Sherry H's Reviews > Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford

Oct 25, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: hist-fiction-american, hist-fiction-wwii

This one was a disappointment.

I think there is a compelling story out there about the internment of Japanese-Americans in the US during WWII, but unfortunately, I haven't found it yet. This one was a bit boring and predictable.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.

message 1: by H. Anne (new)

H. Anne Stoj Have you read Obasan? I remember liking it years ago when I read it.

Marge I agree with you. I remember having a hard time finishing this book. When I finally finished it, it did not resonate. Now I only remember fragments. I was a bit more generous than you though, I gave it 3 stars.

Sherry H Anne wrote: "Have you read Obasan? I remember liking it years ago when I read it."

I haven't, but I'll go check it out. Thanks!

message 4: by Sherry (last edited Jan 24, 2011 06:04AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sherry H Marge wrote: "I agree with you. I remember having a hard time finishing this book. When I finally finished it, it did not resonate. Now I only remember fragments. I was a bit more generous than you though, I g..."

I feel bad about being less generous, but really "I liked it" is too much of a stretch for me. It was just ok. Had the author not used annoying sentence fragments throughout the book, I may have gone to 3 stars, but they were such a distraction! I did enjoy the jazzy bits.