Carolynn's Reviews > Between Shades of Gray

Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

Oct 25, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-2011

We are very fimilar about the history of Hilter and the Jews but a story that is not told enough is that of the people in the Baltics and Stalin. Between Shades of Gray is a novel that tells the story of a 15 year old girl named Lina and her family that were deported from Lithuania in 1941 to Siberia.

This book was incredibly moving and heart wrenching. I found myself crying at my desk at work while reading it. It is a story of love, loss and hope. I can not beginning to imagine what it would be like to be in the situations that take place in this book. It made me feel insanely lucky for what I have and my freedom. once i started this book I found myself not wanting to put it down and when I had to I thought about it constantly. Sepetys did an amazing job telling the story of the horrors that happened to the people of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia.

This book is not a light read but I would suggest everyone to pick it up and pass it on to others. It is a story that everyone needs to know about. It is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

Thank you to Star Book Tours for the chance to read and review this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between Shades of Gray.

October 25, 2010 – Shelved