Liviu's Reviews > The River of Shadows

The River of Shadows by Robert V.S. Redick

bookshelves: 2011_release_read, genre-fantasy, read_2011, top_25_2011_novels

I finished The River of Shadows and it just blew me away and I have a hard time seeing anything else this crazily entertaining in 2011; the 3 books: Red Wolf Conspiracy, Rats and the Ruling Sea and The River of Shadows just hang together perfectly and tightly with all the twists and turns you want.

The last book The Night of the Swarm hopefully will put the exclamation mark on this superbly entertaining series, but you can read these 3 for a complete experience.

Exuberant, crazy, inventiveness, great characters, action - this book has everything and it's full of sense of wonder too.

Fantasy at its best.

"The River is the dark essence of thought, for thought, more than anything else in the universe, has the power to leap between worlds. It belongs therefore to all worlds where conscious life exists. And yet strangely enough, consciousness tends to blind us to its presence. I have even heard it said that the more a world's inhabitants unlock the secret workings of the universe - its pulleys and gears - the deeper the River of Shadows sinks beneath the earth. Societies of master technicians, those who trap the energy of suns, and grow their food in laboratories, and build machines that carry them on plumes of fire through the void: they cannot find the River at all."

Will add the full rv in April as usual

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The River of Shadows.

October 25, 2010 – Shelved