Evelyn (devours and digests words)'s Reviews > The Diary of a Young Girl

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The one reason I read this is because I am highly intrigued by the Holocaust and of its accounts. I thought, why not get inside the mind of the well-known Anne Frank - A young Jew who lived 2 years in hiding from one of the world's biggest atrocities. All this while, I had the misconception that Anne Frank actually survived the war and lived to old age. I was shocked and felt ill after learning of her true fate.

And hence why the last page of the diary was haunting to me - her life just seemed to froze there and then, on the first of August 1944. But it isn't so, as many of us know. The pages may have stopped but Anne Frank's fate continued until it's untimely end in 1945. I'm sentimental about these things because I literally read for myself what went on in this young girl's life -I saw into her mind, her heart and maybe even a piece of her soul. She was an exceptional work of a human being. At such a young age, she was already articulate and highly self-aware. She had a strong core of self that I admire so much. I felt that with all her ongoing emotional growth and intellect, had she lived, she would have surpassed beyond.

I think that's one piece of the tragedy that I feel deeply as I read through pages of her writing. She had so much potential but we see it get abruptly cut short. I'm haunted by this diary, I felt as if I know these people and to learn of each of their fates months after Anne's final entry just saddens me more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Young Girl.

Quotes Evelyn (devours and digests words) Liked

Anne Frank
“I have one outstanding trait in my character, which must strike anyone who knows me for any length of time, and that is my knowledge of myself. I can watch myself and my actions, just like an outsider. The Anne of every day I can face entirely without prejudice, without making excuses for her, and watch what's good and what's bad about her. This 'self-consciousness' haunts me, and every time I open my mouth I know as soon as I've spoken whether 'that ought to have been different' or 'that was right as it was.' There are so many things about myself that I condemn; I couldn't begin to name them all. I understand more and more how true Daddy's words were when he said: 'All children must look after their own upbringing.' Parents can only give good advice or put them on the right paths, but the final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands.”

Anne Frank
“Where there's hope, there's life. It fills us with fresh courage and makes us strong again.”

Anne Frank
“In the long run, the sharpest weapon of all is a kind and gentle spirit.”
Anne Frank, The Diary of Anne Frank

Anne Frank
“People can tell you to keep your mouth shut, but that doesn't stop you from having your own opinion.”

Anne Frank
“I wish to go on living even after my death.”

Anne Frank
“A quiet conscience makes one strong!”

Anne Frank
“I've found that there is always some beauty left -- in nature, sunshine, freedom, in yourself; these can all help you.”

Anne Frank
“You can be lonely even when you are loved by many people, since you are still not anybody's one and only.”

Anne Frank
“Deep down, the young are lonelier than the old.”

Anne Frank
“I think a lot, but I don't say much.”

May 11, 2015 – Shelved
May 11, 2015 – Shelved as: classics-to-read-before-i-die
May 2, 2019 – Started Reading
May 3, 2019 –
page 214
70.39% "So near the end.. there are already too many haunting lines."
May 3, 2019 – Shelved as: classy-as-hell