Kim's Reviews > The City & the City

The City & the City by China Miéville

Oct 25, 2010

bookshelves: conspiracy, crime, fantasy, mystery, urban-fantasy, hugo-winner, nebula-nominee, world-fantasy-winner, locus-winner, male-author, 2000s, 2009, book-club-scifi-and-fantasy
Read from February 06 to March 13, 2011

This was a very interesting book. The start was hard to get through. It felt like the author was talking about things I should already know, talking like I was a citizen of the same city. But eventually it all came together and from there the story excelled. The twistedness of the two cities, unseeing and unhearing, is at times a lot to wrap your ahead around but makes for such an alien environment in something so human.

The plot itself was great and I didn't see the way it would turn out. It's rare to find a book nowadays that isn't predictable. I can't wait to read some more China Miéville.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City & the City.

02/06/2011 page 20
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by ♥Xeni♥ (last edited Feb 06, 2011 03:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♥Xeni♥ Have you read The Scar by him? It was one of the ones nominated in the SciFi&Fantasy group for the Pirate theme, if you remember.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim No not yet, this is my first China Miéville book. It was nominated in a poll a little while ago. I've looked at The Scar (Bas-Lag) but I'll see how much I enjoy this first, but I'll probably start with Perdido Street Station (Bas-Lag) as it comes before The Scar.

♥Xeni♥ I finished the Scar today and I LOVED it. Had Goodreads not had server issues then you could have read my review. xD I didn't feel like I had to have read Perdido Street Station before (or listen to it, since I have both audio and ebook) in order to enjoy or even just understand The Scar.

I have been listening to The City & The City almost non-stop since I started. xD It is a great story so far! I am almost 50% of the way in, and you know how big of a book it is! 5 hours or so by now!

It is very different from The Scar, but at the same time, just as unique. I think Miéville is one of my new all time favorite authors. His writing is just superb!

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It may be that you're doing audio while I'm doing hard copy but I'm finding it hard to get into. But I haven't had a lot of reading time lately so I've just been going through some fairly simple books to clear them off my shelves. Hopefully when I can sit down and read it properly I'll get into it.

Oh and I've finally started the upgrade to e-book. My Nook is on it's way at the moment :)

♥Xeni♥ Ohh, about time :p only like 5 years late xD

Let me know if you want any from my GIGANTIC collection (especially scifi & fantasy)! ;)

also, I tend to hate audiobooks since I can't to anything else while listening, but this book is very well read. Almost like watching a movie, except you're not watching.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I had to wait til they had what I wanted at a price I wanted. Getting the Nook Color.

Send me a list of what you have and I'll have a look :P

I can't do audiobooks. I tried them years ago but I don't like read to, I prefer to go at my own pace.

♥Xeni♥ Umm, a list of what I have? XD I've been working on making one for years, but I have just so much. I can give you preliminary and not very accurate ones of the sci fi and fantasy... Maybe. I'll take a look. I constantly work at cleaning things up, tidying into new folders and getting more, so although it's much more organized, it's still a mess.

Easier is if you ask me for a certain author or book. XD. Also, they are 99% in PDF format, and I dunno if the nook can read that!

And yeah, some audiobooks go really slow, or really fast, which irritates me to no end. I manage with The City & the City, though. (I can't finish listening to this other book I listened to months ago, though. Old lady scratchy voice and constant buzzing in the background!)

message 8: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Haha need a good organising program to do it all. I haven't started getting any yet.

I don't know what books I'm thinking of reading next. Still have 20-30 books on my to-read shelf at home to get through before I start the ebooks.

Yeah the Nook supports EPUB (DRM and non-DRM), PDF, Microsoft Office formats (DOC, DOCX, XLS, PPT, etc.), TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, MP3, AAC, and MP4

♥Xeni♥ Ohh, you picked it up again! :D

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm just going to barge into your conversation and say Calibre is a great e-book organization/conversion program. Might want to give it a looksee

♥Xeni♥ It's okay, actually. It's not great. Mainly because it will make a copy of anything I drag into it...and I really don't need 2 times 50 gb of ebooks on my harddrive xD I use it mainly for converting ebooks. Otherwise it just gets in my way. :) But thanks for the heads up anyway!

message 12: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I use Calibre :) I don't mind that it copies it as I then delete the original.

Michael Already on my too-read list, sounds like a great book

♥Xeni♥ Yay! I'm glad you liked it! :)

I actually had a two-cities moment walking through my streets here, the other day: imaging what it would be like to actually unsee things and people. It was pretty neat, and I love Miéville for having had such a great and odd idea!

SPOILER NOW:

How much did you love that Borlu got to stay with Breach and pass through both cities whenever he walked? Hearing about him walk from one part to the other was just freaky... Especially after so much conditioning to unsee!

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim ♥Xeni♥ wrote: "How much did you love that Borlu got to stay with Breach"

I think that part was inevitable. Once he was in Breach as they said you can't unlearn what you see there. He either had to become part of Breach, be a prisoner or die. Not much choice there.

One thing I would like to know is how it all happened in the first place.

message 16: by Brad (last edited Mar 18, 2011 03:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad hey, bro. do you need a copy of scar? i'll mail it to you.

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks Brad but I've picked up his works on ebook now. Finally moving away from hard copy.

message 18: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad lucky man. i'm too poor, or luddite, for the future.

message 19: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I'm making the switch to save money :P

message 20: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad it is cheaper in the long run, for sure, but it's that big instant outlay that makes me balk.

message 21: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Yeah that's what held me off for a long time but I didn't want to fall too far behind. And it's great, I love it. Makes reading much easier.

message 22: by Brad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brad I've gotta just go for it, I think.

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Do it :) I got a Nook Color. You can hack it and get access to the Android store so you can purchase from the B&N or Kindle store.

♥Xeni♥ Huh... so what made you buy a Nook over a Kindle (or any of the others)?

A friend of mine is really trying to convince me that a Kindle is so much better than my iPhone... but I dunno. I'm a little set on having everything in one handy package (games, email, phone, music, and books all in one! woot!)

message 25: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim For me it was the colour screen, the file formats it can use and the ability to hack the software.

I wanted the colour screen for comics and I've modified the software so now it's an Android tablet rather than an Android-based eReader. Have full access to the Android store now so I can get more apps, games, etc.

It was after looking at a friends books on an iPad then comparing it to another friends Kindle that made me look at the Nook. Much cheaper than an iPad and not as big. I've tried reading books on my iPhone but just can't do it, the screen is way too small for my liking.

♥Xeni♥ Yeah, the iPad does seem a tad too large for reading on it, for me. If anything I'd get an iPad to help me read ebook textbooks for school, but not for pleasure reading. For that my iPhone is perfect.

I'll look more into the Color Nook... maybe that is one that would be prefect for me too!