Nikki Mcgee's Reviews > The Establishment: And How They Get Away with It

The Establishment by Owen   Jones

bookshelves: politics
Read 2 times. Last read February 8, 2019 to February 9, 2019.

Before reading this I was angry with the world, now I am flipping furious!

This is a great book and an important read. It is not quite as good as Chavs which for me was a life changing book however particularly post election this is well worth a read.

I found the chapter on the police shocking and realise how naive I have been. My husband who is from a notorious Manchester family backed up much of what the chapter says about brutality and prejudice.

The media chapter did not tell me anything that I did not know but just seeing it all together was powerful and rather scary, especially in this post election era.

At times it does drag a little and it can feel as if it is wandering from topic to topic rather than following a cohesive thread and therefore like me you may find some chapters of more relevance than others.

Importantly this book has reminded me of the need to challenge the establishment rather than just accepting it or moaning about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Establishment.

May 11, 2015 – Started Reading
May 11, 2015 – Shelved
May 13, 2015 –
28.0% "This appealed to the mischievous child in me David Aaronovitch is a former student radical and Communist. In 1975 he was part of a team on the BBC’s University Challenge who subverted the show’s format by answering every question with the name of a Marxist leader: ‘Lenin’, ‘Trotsky’...."
May 16, 2015 –
May 17, 2015 – Finished Reading
March 5, 2017 – Shelved as: politics
February 8, 2019 – Started Reading
February 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Gisela (new) - added it

Gisela Hafezparast It totally agree with you. We would not be in he mess we are in right now if the establishment, especially the likes of Boris Johnson and Reece Mogs-whatever and David Cameron would have so much power just because they were born into a over-privileged family and are making sure that the next few generations of their family is just as over-privileged.

I've actually once met Owen Jones a few years ago when he went to the same state college here in Brighton and my son, who is a few years younger, hero-worshipped him in the "socialist society" at school. Was kindly allowed to drive the gents around to their meetings! What an honour. He is definitely one to watch, razor sharp intellect and a real hope for ordinary people's politics.