SA's Reviews > L.A. Boneyard

Oct 24, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010
Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This was a really creepy murder mystery, on par with any CSI episode. I was surprised at how strong the forensic science is in this and the subsequent book--Brown really gets her stuff.

I was a bit sketch about the whole David and Jairo on the d/l part, not because I didn't believe that someone wouldn't make a move on David but more that the whole married bi smoking hot detective that just happens to show up as David's partner and won't take no for an answer was just a little too pat. And Chris was a pissy bitch, which actually is believable but made me want to skip ahead to the part where he wasn't changing the locks because some dude he didn't know lied to him.

I'm of two minds on this series, because I like David and Chris and the homicide mysteries are detailed and actually a bit surprising, there's never enough emotional development to make me believe what the main characters do in their relationship. You spend three hundred pages driving a wedge through your characters after stating they've been together and happy for four years, and then have them go through something massively traumatic and then David proposes and it's all magically better?

Maybe that's a fundamental suspension of disbelief I'm missing for a quasi-romance novel, but if there had been at least five pages of actually discussing their relationship and resolving their problems instead of wham-bam-marry-your-man it would have made it significantly more believable and enjoyable.

Still not a bad series for the genre, though, whether you're talking about gay fiction or homicide mysteries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read L.A. Boneyard.