Anna's Reviews > Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: No Schedules, No Meetings, No Joke--the Simple Change That Can Make Your Job Terrific

Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It by Cali Ressler

it was ok

This book is repetitive and trite. The first third or so is consumed with what they seem to think is obvious: work sucks, meetings are useless, and we're all faking it to wait out the clock. The problem? There is a clock. Now I don't think work sucks, nor do I personally waste time for sake of an easy paycheck (though I know those people exist), and I specialize in facilitation of effective meetings/collaborative processes... so I'm probably not the target audience...but even if I was, I can't fathom what leads you to think that having no schedule makes people more effective and efficient. Its like politicians thinking that if you cut the budget, agencies will HAVE to work more efficiently- but the reality is that people end up doing less with less and decreasing morale for employees. Efficiency is a skill set that needs to be developed and, while it can be motivated by some of the aspects of ROWE, I don't see how ROWE itself is a solutions.

Unfortunately though, this seems like one of those books that is trying to get you just enough interested in the topic so that you pay the consultants who wrote it to tell you more. It is vague on the details.

Then there is the chapter near the end where they try to get you, for some reason, to proselytize to others about ROWE (spread the good word!). Including tips to get around people's doubts and arguments (themselves faulty) - which annoyed me because they had yet to convince me, so why on earth would I try to convince others?!?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It.

May 10, 2015 – Started Reading