Ari's Reviews > Winter Longing

Winter Longing by Tricia Mills

bookshelves: favorites, emotional, ya-contemporary, sweet-romance, death-and-dying, standalone

This was such an emotional story. The beginning was light and somehow funny, introducing the characters which I found really enjoyable , then it was just heart breaking to see how death can change everything and everyone.

Indeed it's a story about the power of moving on even though your heart is breaking, even though you might feel that the world has nothing else to offer.

From time to time the story seemed a little bit rushed, like those months were not enough, but who am I to say how long should anyone cry their eyes out when I didn't really experience something like that to know. How long could a heart keep beating with such a pain inside without breaking or without trying to find another reason to beat, to live again?

I had a friend who died few years ago(but not a best friend, not a lover) and I know how it feels to wake up and for a second everything seems to be OK, and then the realization hits you with all the force in the world and the ache is there again stronger, and you don't know when it's going to go away.. I can only imagine how it must fell if you lose someone really close, how that pain won't go away, how the memories will still hunt you long after the "moving on".

The writing was great too (better than other similar books about loss), made you feel like the pain was real, like the journey was one of your own. It was nice to see Winter trying to be a good friend to Lindsay when she realized that she was not the only one suffering and that even if death is horrible there are other (maybe bigger) problems some people might have to deal with.. it was great to see that even if Spencer was the one holding their friendship, now that he was gone the 2 of them found a way to keep their friendship and make it even stronger. I was happy about Lindsay & Caleb too, it seemed to good to be true, but in a good way.

It's only one thing that I would've want to know more about.. Jesse. (view spoiler)

So...

Would I read this story again? I don't know, is a lot of sorrow to take in, but I definitely liked this book, and I am glad I could finally read it.

Would I recommend it to someone else? Of course. It's not a book that can be read by everyone, but the ones that like this kind of 'romance & drama' books will love it.

This review can be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Longing.

October 24, 2010 – Shelved
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: ya-contemporary
June 16, 2011 – Shelved as: sweet-romance
June 17, 2011 – Shelved as: death-and-dying
December 10, 2014 – Shelved as: standalone

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Arlene Great review and good point about Jesse. I would have liked to know how long he liked Winter because all of his actions just seemed to make him the too-good-to-be-true sort of guy. So, I felt he had a thing for Winter for quite a while. I really enjoyed this book too and just recently finished it. Glad you enjoyed it as well!

message 2: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Yeah, I know.. and I understand that this happened probably because the main focus was Winter and her feelings, but it would've been so nice to know more about Jesse (maybe he could confess or something, lol).
There were some things he did/said that made me assume that he liked her all that time, but we know for sure only what Winter knows, and before Spencer died she was too much into him to notice anything about Jesse. Maybe he didn't change, maybe he never got the chance before to be close to her and show her affection.. who knows? Anyways it was nice to see that she had someone when she needed the most.
It is sort of funny the fact that I (as a reader) felt the same struggle as the main character.. You know, some part of me wanted Winter to feel better because her pain really touched me and I wanted her to move on and be happy again (with Jesse), and other part of me wanted her not to do that because I knew that she loved Spencer for so many years (and so much), and it seemed a little unfair to forget him so fast.. That's what I call a good book, the one that makes you feel what the characters are feeling, and one that keeps you thinking about it even after you finish reading it ;))
And now my comment is as long as a review so I guess I should end it here :))

Laura Wonderful & moving review Ari! This book surprised me. I really loved it!

message 4: by Ari (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ari Thanks, Laura, it is a really great story!
I'm also glad to see you around. Hope you had some great winter holidays ;))

Laura Hey Ari! Right back at ya! I feel like the holidays cut in to my chatting time & reading. But they were fun! Thanks! Happy New Year! I’m looking forward to another year filled with book gossip and fun with you! :)