Sarah Whisted's Reviews > Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures

Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures by Jackson Pearce

bookshelves: books-i-own

Admittedly, I don't read much middle grade, but with authors like Maggie Stiefvater & Jackson Pearce behind the story, how could I resist? Also, how cool is it to see Maggie's art be published too (it's about time!)? Plus, my friend Akoss is hosting a middle grade reading challenge this month so why not jump into it with this? So many positive reasons to check this out.

Need more? Okay... so, this is enjoyable in that light-hearted happy way. Told in an alternate world where magical creatures exist, Pip is curiouser than most kids her age and has the unbelievable ability to talk to magical creatures (like Dr. Doolittle). She may be a little braver than she ought to be, too, but that's what makes her likeable. This story entertained me the way movies like Pippi Longstocking did as a kid and I feel like maybe I would have read more as a child if there had been books that made me smile so much.

This is a quick, refreshing read, appropriate for more than just middle grade aged people. It was just what I needed to nudge me out of the months-long reading slump I've been in.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pip Bartlett's Guide to Magical Creatures.

May 10, 2015 – Started Reading