Robin's Reviews > Fates and Furies

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff

It has taken me years to realize that one of my favorite kinds of novels are those that are driven by interesting and compelling characters with many secrets that are slowly unveiled over the course of the novel. FATES AND FURIES was just that kind of novel that was right up my alley and I couldn't stop reading. Another GoodReads reviewer compared this to GONE GIRL, in that it is the story of a marriage that isn't what it appears to be, and I have to agree. Kind of a literary GG, if you will.

The story of the marriage of Lotto and Mathilde (silly me, I read this entire novel mispronouncing "Mathilde" and finally looked it up--don't you hate it when that happens?) is told in two parts. The is the story of what appears to be a successful union between two attractive and talented people with the first half, titled Fates, told from the third person viewpoint of Lotto. The second half, Furies, is from Mathilde's POV, and boy, are we in for a few surprises! This twists and turns and pretty soon no one is sure what really happened, not even Mathilde.

What kept me giving this five stars was sometimes the writing got a little too convoluted or just plain odd; I had to reread not just a few paragraphs to understand what was being said.

Highly recommended for book groups.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fates and Furies.

May 10, 2015 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Carol I wondered about the pronunciation of Mathilde and like you finally looked it up. Didn't change the feelings about the story but should have done it much earlier.