Caitlin Hannah 's Reviews > All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

bookshelves: 2016-reading-challenge

This is the kind of book that I feel conflicted about beginning. The description doesn't grab me, and it can't possibly live up to the hype (I'm looking at you, Girl on The Train). But so many people can't be totally wrong...right? So I go into it with an open mind and temper my expectations.

It took me a bit to get into this book, but once it did I was sucked in. Yet I also oddly still felt somehow removed from the story and characters, even though the characters were painted so well. I think it's the tone the author uses, the multiple storylines, and that the chapters are short and quick and keep you turning the pages. I love stories with so many interwoven threads, and I loved that about this book. I got so sucked in I finished the second half in a day. And at the end I can't even tell you what it is about this story, but it mostly worked for me. A bit long, yes, but it worked.

If you're feeling confused and intrigued by this review, that about sums it up.

PS - I've never seen "purl" and "wheel" used as verbs so many times in one place. Purling water. Wheeling birds. Water that purls. Birds that wheel. Water...you get the idea.
PPS - I really want to go to Saint-Malo now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Light We Cannot See.

May 9, 2015 – Shelved
May 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 12, 2016 – Started Reading
January 12, 2016 –
page 115
21.7% "Started today...I wasn't sure at first but it's sucked me in and it's such a fast read!"
January 18, 2016 –