Pamela's Reviews > A Virgin River Christmas

A Virgin River Christmas by Robyn Carr

4.5 Stars

This was a thoroughly enjoyable read — my first e-book, actually. I read it on my computer using Kindle for Mac. Because I just don't spend enough time with my computer, you know?

This book tells the story of Ian Buchanan, an emotionally scarred former Marine, and Marcie Sullivan, widow of Ian's best friend, who died from injuries sustained while at war despite Ian's attempt to save him. Set in the snowy mountains above Virgin River, it brings together so many things that make the Virgin River series so enjoyable — the remote mountain setting, the sense of community, and the strong men and women who make up that community.

Marcie has been searching for Ian, feeling that there is unfinished business between them. As her husband's best friend, Ian should have been there during the three years her husband lingered between life and death. Instead, Ian had vanished. Marcie wants to know why — and she wants to give him her husband's baseball card collection. Truth is, she's not sure why she's searching for him. She is driven by needs she doesn't completely understand.

The man she meets is not the man she remembers. With a heavy beard and a nasty temper, Ian has been hiding in a cabin in the mountains, living an unadorned life as a hermit — no ties, no toilet, no contact with the outside world. Ian knows who Marcie is — he met her at one point when he came back from the war while her husband was in a long-term care facility — but he wants nothing to do with her. He does his best to drive her away and acting a bit nuts in the process.

But Marcie becomes ill, and Ian has no choice but to take care of her. The ten days that follow as she regains her health transform both of them. Watching Marcie and Ian face their shared pain together, finding love and healing in each other's arms, was wonderful, even if Marcie at times seemed a little too perfect.

The love story is sweet, as are the love scenes. The emotion feels genuine. I found myself forgiving Marcie's PITA older sister, Erin, as I learned why she was a PITA. It was great to see the other characters again — Mel and Jack; Paige and Preacher; Doc, etc. (I haven't read Brie and Mark Venezuela's story yet...) The sense of community that permeates these stories is so addictive. Who wouldn't want to live in a town where everyone cared about everyone else? Heck, I'd pack my junk tomorrow if I knew of such a place. It's pretty far removed from the world I know, I must say.

I love to read Christmas-themed romances, but most often I read historicals. There's something about the Christmas season that makes historicals particularly enjoyable. This is the first contemporary romance I've read with a Christmas theme, and I enjoyed it. I still prefer Christmas historicals, but then historicals are what I love to read most anyway.

For those who haven't read the Virgin River series or who've read only a few, this book stands alone. I think a person could read it and then go back and pick up at the beginning.

Over all, a very enjoyable and satisfying read. I will admit to sneaking some reading time in while at work. D'oh!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Virgin River Christmas.

October 23, 2010 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 22, 2010 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm glad you're enjoying the series, too.

These are the books I choose when I just want something comfortable to read. They are "feel good" stories and the are warm and inviting, just as I imagine Virgin River would be.

Pamela If I could choose where to have a flat tire, it would be in front of Jack's bar in Virgin River. :-)

♡Karlyn P♡ Agreed! Jacks bar can solve most of life's problems. LOL! I loved this story but hated having to wait forever to find out what they did with the plumbing issue. It needed an epilogue, but now you can read more about these two in later books. Glad you liked it!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I have a special place in my heart for Preacher. And Ian of course - it's the name and the scars, both inside and out.

Keri I second that UM! Preacher ROCKS!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Keri wrote: "I second that UM! Preacher ROCKS!"

He was so cute when he announced in front of everyone in the bar why he and Paige had to leave... remember that? There was something so precious about that!

message 7: by ValerieC (new)

ValerieC By all means, since you can get Kindle books, read the whole series starting with 'Virgin River'. I hope that Santa brings you a Kindle for Christmas... I got this story in a bundle with the first 4 stories and read the first 3 and then went to #5, but I will read this one sometime before New Year's. I am SO hooked on this series!!

Keri Yes I remember that. :0) I have the entire series, but that is the only one that I will go out of my way to reread.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Keri wrote: "Yes I remember that. :0) I have the entire series, but that is the only one that I will go out of my way to reread."

I haven't yet finished the series, I need to read the Angel's Peak, Moonlight Road, Forbidden Falls trilogy release. So now I'm waiting for the next books and then I'll get busy. I like to have several on hand.

message 10: by Keri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Keri They were pretty good.

Beanbag Love Glad you liked this, Pamela. As I tell everyone, this is my favorite of the entire series. Something about Ian and Marcie just really got me. I just wanted it to be longer. :)