Adam Dalva's Reviews > Lila

Lila by Marilynne Robinson

(key point: I had to read this BEFORE Gilead and Home because it's for a book club, which makes this review useful only for those in a similar boat. I'll reference back to it in my reviews of Gilead/Home later this week)

A floating, leisurely book - here we have an exciting story told in a way that intentionally minimizes suspense, that elides classic moments of drama and finds its best moments in contemplation. I can't say that I ever deeply connected with it, but the love story deeply moved me and the writing is predictably wonderful. The repetition really hurt it and the balance was a bit off. I understand the thesis, so to speak, of why we don't get more expository sections, but they were the best bits of the book and I wanted more of them. I sort of wanted to have (A) one more thing happen or (B) for the book to be told in a different order. There's a pivot-point halfway through when it becomes much more linear - I enjoyed it more from there. It's an easy 4 stars because it has such beauty, but it was too easy to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lila.

Started Reading