Amy's Reviews > The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing

The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank

Oct 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2009, 2012, favourites
Recommended for: people who like Amy Bloom, Simona Vinci, or Margaret Atwood's short stories
Read 3 times. Last read August 28, 2012 to August 29, 2012.

I love this book, but gosh, do I hate the packaging. My copy is lemon yellow and girly pink and it looks like rubbish chick lit.

I would just like to clarify that this book is not chick lit. It's strong and truthful and real and and and... well. It makes me bristle and want to defend its honour. It's written as a series of short stories about the men in the life of a woman called Jane. (I suppose you could call them chapters, but I think of it more like Amy Bloom's short stories than a traditional novel.)

Yes: so far, so chick lit. But it is not at all. It is not formulaic, or ridiculous and is quietly truthful in a way I found touching without being cloying. Jane is a likable, realistic and flawed (of course - aren't we all?) character and I found myself hoping everything would work out for her, but also hoping it wouldn't be too easy. I did not want a white knight to swoop down and save her - and the book itself gave me the feeling that this was not a good idea, either.

I did laugh out loud a few times like the book cover informed me I would, but it's a wicked laugh, a laugh born of uncomfortable and awkward situations that you can recognise yourself and those you love in, rather like watching an episode of The Office.

If you enjoyed Amy Bloom or Simona Vinci, or indeed
Margaret Atwood or Tove Jansson, give this a go. And don't be put off by the cover!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing.

Finished Reading