C.G. Fewston's Reviews > Finnegans Wake

Finnegans Wake by James Joyce

By the end of the book, ALP is winding down into the sea and gives the reader an amazing soliloquy of her past and her future fate:

“Now a younger’s there. Try not to part. Be happy, dear ones! May I be wrong! For she’ll be sweet for you as I was sweet when I came down out of me mother. My great blue bedroom, the air so quiet, scarce a cloud. In peace and silence. I could have stayed up there for always only. It’s something fails us. First we feel. Then we fall. And let her rain now if she likes. Gently or strongly as she likes. Anyway let her rain for my time is come. I done me best when I was let” (p 627).

Then a page later the end comes, but the final sentence famously wraps itself around to the very first sentence of the book, reading thus:

“A way a lone a last a loved a long the / riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs” (pgs 628, 3).

And as ALP predicted the rain at the end of the book, the reader finds the cycle renewed in the beginning:

“So then she started raining, raining, and in a pair of changers, be dome ter, she was back again” (p 22).

The cycle ends and begins and ends over and over again and again much like Collective Tradition upon the Individual who is born and develops and (perhaps) finds the ever-invisible circular socio-system dream-like and mythic, a manifestation of circular reaction, and at times feeling like a cosmic-subconscious-abstract superorganism (or supraorganism) encapsulates and manages the collective human consciousness-unconsciousness (as well as Culture, Politics and Economics).

Our ancestors in ancient times referred to this cosmic-subconscious-abstract superorganism as a “World-Soul.” The metaphysical World-Soul is a never-ending energy which binds all living things through a distribution of intelligence, and may either be conscious, unconscious or intuitive or all of the above. The World-Soul (or Anima Mundi) further connects every Individual by amassing the billions of souls in the world into a single organismic unit rather than collections of individuals. If the soul is inside the human body, the human body is inside the World-Soul which is inside the Cosmic Earth moving in Space along with other Cosmic Bodies. A Supernatural God, the Ultimate Cosmic Being, could still be All-Encompassing, which would continue to validate the earthly human religions.

“We may come, touch and go, from atoms and ifs but we’re presurely destined to be odd’s without ends” (p 455).

In Timaeus (c. 360 B.C.), Plato explains: “Therefore, we may consequently state that: this world is indeed a living being endowed with a soul and intelligence... a single visible living entity containing all other living entities, which by their nature are all related.”

What may be an additional connection of this invisible-cosmic-subconscious-abstract superorganism binding all living things as one is “Monopsychism” (a doctrine of the Jewish Kabbalah), which can mean that all living things share the same eternal consciousness, much like the characters (especially the two sons) in James Joyce’s Finnegans Wake who share a variation of identities stemming from their Father HCE and his nocturnal dream.

In Psychology and the East (1978), C.G. Jung commented: “The development of Western philosophy during the last two centuries has succeeded in isolating the mind in its own sphere and in severing it from its primordial oneness with the universe. Man himself has ceased to be the microcosm and eidolon of the cosmos, and his ‘anima’ is no longer the consubstantial scintilla, spark of the Anima Mundi, the World Soul” (see section “Psychological Commentary on The Tibetan Book of the Great Liberation”).

C.G. Jung further developed the idea of “Unus Mundus” (or “One World”), which is the “concept of an underlying unified reality from which everything emerges and to which everything returns.”

Finnegans Wake certainly embodies these concepts.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnegans Wake.

May 8, 2015 – Started Reading