N_Colleen's Reviews > Tacky the Penguin

Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester

Oct 23, 2010

bookshelves: realistic-fiction
Read on October 23, 2010

Tacky the Penguin is a great book to read aloud but is even better to listen to on CD. This is great for ages 4-8 and the illustrations capture the mood of each penguin in a whimsical and colorful way. Helen Lester does a great job bringing Tacky, a loud odd penguin to life. Tacky lives with a group of five formal and proper penguins but Tacky is nothing like them. His antics confuse his friends until one day they hear a thump…thump…thump. In this book you will find out how a loud, odd penguin saves the day from a mean pack of hunters.

This is a great book to use in the classroom to teach about being an individual. Students will get a great laugh while learning that it’s wonderful to be different even if others do not notice it right away.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tacky the Penguin.

message 1: by N_katieg52 (new)

N_katieg52 I have never read Tacky, but I have heard so much about him! I think this would be a great read aloud for second graders. They love animals that talk and it seems like this is an entertaining story with a message. I will definitely look for this on cd though. Humor is definitely a hit with my class, so it seems like a great book for teaching author's message! Thanks, Colleen!

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth I have not read this book yet, but am curious as to how this might fall in the realistic fiction genre as opposed to low fantasy? Could you expand on this a bit more?