Brooke's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

bookshelves: book-club

Classic, beautiful book about love, misunderstanding, pride, and prejudice.

Jane Austen wrote a novel that touched many, many hearts: Pride & Prejudice addressed many important themes, incorporated unique, humorous characters, and a passionate love story.

Elizabeth Bennet, the main character of the story, has five sisters and a mother who can think of nothing but marriage. Elizabeth, however, does not want to marry for comfort or money - she wants true love. When her elder sister, Jane, meets Mr. Bingley, Elizabeth is introduced to Bingley's rude friend Mr. Darcy. But sometimes first impressions can be misleading.

I LOVED this book, and the movie as well.

Brooke :)

Quotes Brooke Liked

Jane Austen
“From the very beginning— from the first moment, I may almost say— of my acquaintance with you, your manners, impressing me with the fullest belief of your arrogance, your conceit, and your selfish disdain of the feelings of others, were such as to form the groundwork of disapprobation on which succeeding events have built so immovable a dislike; and I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry.”

Jane Austen
“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

Jane Austen
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

Jane Austen
“Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.”

Jane Austen
“There is, I believe, in every disposition a tendency to some particular evil, a natural defect, which not even the best education can overcome."
"And your defect is a propensity to hate everybody."
"And yours," he replied with a smile, "is wilfully to misunderstand them.”

Jane Austen
“An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.”