Nancy's Reviews > Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

bookshelves: audio

How did I not read this before now? I had tried to give it a go years ago when I was on a classics kick, but the writing seemed too dated and I quickly put it down. I tried again with an audio edition, and really enjoyed it this time around, although I still thought some of the conversations between characters remained stilted. I'm glad I waited until now, for I connected more with the story in this era of social media, large screen TV's and commercialism - Bradbury's words seem prophetic and eerily true. It wasn't the government, but everyday people and all the different "special interest" groups who protested about books and how it insulted them, thus needed to be removed. Finally when every person had their say, nothing remained- complete censorship had taken place. As a librarian, and avid reader, this story hits home. Censorship is a tricky devil and can so easily be wielded dangerously. My audio book ended with a commentary Ray Bradbury had written years after, commenting on his thoughts about the book and why he wrote it. What a great thinker and author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fahrenheit 451.

May 8, 2015 – Started Reading