Tonyalee's Reviews > When Love Happens

When Love Happens by Darcy Burke

bookshelves: 2015-read, adult, e-book, lol-funny, arc, reviewed-at-after-hours

Find this review and more on my blog, After Hours at Lilybloombooks

What's happened a lot this year, is that I pick up a book in the middle of series and have this uncontrollable urge to start the series over. And I am happy to add the Ribbon Ridge series to that list!

When Love Happens focuses on Tori and Sean. After a quick Vegas wedding, these two have spent months apart due to a tragedy that rocked Tori and her family. Sean is determined to "win" her back and when the opportunity comes up for him to visit the Archer family, he takes it.

There were many things I truly loved about When Love Happens. I love the setting, the writing - the family dynamic and Sean. But it was really, really difficult for me to root for Tori, even like her at times. Part of this, was because I didn't understand her need to push Sean away. I know she is hurting, and harbors a lot of misplaced quilt, but the extremes that she goes to push Sean away was really hard to read. Sean didn't deserve it, at all.

Sean however, was one of the sweetest, sexiest men I have read about in a while. His love for Tori is plain as day - and while there were times I wanted to throttle him for letting Tori push him the way she did, I admire his dedication to her at the same time.

As mush as I disliked Tori at times, I loved these two together. Once Tori let (some) of her walls fall, the chemistry between these two is intense. The banter is hilarious and i loved how they spent some time together, "getting to know each other" again.

I adored the tight-knit family dynamic. Tori is one of the sextuplets, and I loved getting to know each one. Sean too, is close to his parents and cares for them remotely.

The story is told in both Sean and Tori's POV, but even though its 3rd person, the distinct difference in the narration was perfection. The voices are distinct and I was never confused about whose POV I was reading. I also  never had that feeling that I was missing out on a story - since this was IS the third installment - but I was confused at first to who was who. It takes a little time to get into the swing of things.

Overall - I adored When Love Happens. It's a feel good book - one I highly recommend. Also, Sean has an accent!

*I received a copy of this book from The Publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Love Happens.

May 8, 2015 – Shelved
May 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
May 17, 2015 – Started Reading
May 17, 2015 –
14.0% "Enjoying this so far. :)"
May 17, 2015 –
21.0% "Gosh she is harsh, isn't she?"
May 18, 2015 –
67.0% "Ugh. I know Tori is struggling but what is she THINKING?!"
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-read
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: adult
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: e-book
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: arc
May 18, 2015 – Shelved as: lol-funny
May 18, 2015 – Finished Reading
May 25, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed-at-after-hours

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Nate Brightman Funny how two people can read the same book and see it in different ways. It seemed to me that for most of this book while Sean did want Tori back he was more determined to get the television show done and save his job than he was in saving his marriage. Fortunately (at least in my eyes) he redeemed himself towards the end of the book. While I had a hard time buying into the reasoning Tori had for wanting to put Sean out of her life she did come across as a sympathetic character. I thought there were an awful lot of funny scenes in this story between the family billiards game and Tori's "Operation Divorce." And how could you not love Tori after how hard she worked at the end to win Sean back?