Jaime Arkin's Reviews > Heart-Shaped Hack

Heart-Shaped Hack by Tracey Garvis Graves

bookshelves: 2015, ebook-format, galley-arc, read-in-2015, contemporary, romance

It’s probably not a secret that I’m a huge Tracey Garvis-Graves fan … I’ve really loved everything she’s written so far… she creates unique stories filled with amazing characters who will dig their way into your heart and make a home!

Heart-Shaped Hack is no different! I love the premise of this story! Kate Watts left her law career behind her to pursue her dream of opening a food pantry and helping those less fortunate than her, only she never thought it would be so hard to keep food on the shelves and donations coming in. A chance appearance on a local news show has a mysterious stranger dropping off bags of cash to help her out.

Determined to find out who this donor is she catches him in the act and finds the charismatic Ian behind the donations. Ian is the definition of intriguing and mysterious and despite not knowing much about him, the connection between them is electric.

I love good banter. Let me just say that right up front, and Tracey does an amazing job of creating that fun, witty, back and forth between these two. From the very first time they meet, and throughout the story the connection between these two is sexy and fun.

Let’s talk about characters! I loved Kate! She is smart and sexy and determined to make the food pantry successful… even if that means wearing a short skirt on TV to ask for donations. I think the best thing about her is that when you get to know her, you can recognize parts of yourself in her and that makes her relatable and interesting. Plus, she doesn’t let Ian get away with anything!

“It sounds do distasteful when you say it like that. I prefer master appropriator of Ill-gotten funds. You can call me master for short.”

“I have lots of things I’d like to call you. Master is not one of them.”

Ian is witty and charismatic and sexy and such an interesting guy, but he doesn’t have what one would consider a typical job… he’s a hacker and it’s part of the reason he’s so secretive about his life. I have to say that this added a really different layer to the story for me and I loved it!

“If you’re not a cyberthief, then what are you?”

“I’m a hacker.”

“Is there a difference?”

“Most definitely.”

As Ian and Kate get closer, more of Ian’s work and history are revealed and exactly what he does as a hacker become clearer, but there are consequences to his work… people want him gone and so he has to be careful about who knows his real identity and where he is.

Despite all the secrecy Ian and Kate together are absolute perfection! I loved getting to see their relationship evolve and despite his inability to share everything with her Kate learns to put her trust in Ian and they take those tentative steps forward to pursue a relationship together. Okay… I have to say this because I know some of you will probably question Kate’s sanity. I mean, Ian doesn’t tell her his last name, he basically stalks her but he does it in a way that’s charming and comes across as harmless and yes… even a bit fun and sweet. Please note, I do not condone stalking or hacking in real-life relationships, but this just completely worked for me here and I’m attributing that to Tracey and the way she has created these characters. And I have to say that I absolutely loved Ian’s persistence!

“Why would I go out with you? You engage in frequent illegal activity, and you have horrific boundary issues.”

“Because I promise you that spending time with me will never be boring. And isn’t that what you’re really after? Someone who can inject a little adventure into your life?”

Of course, it’s not all smooth sailing for these two. Eventually something happens that just about broke my heart. But that’s all I’m going to say about that.

I will say that I had an inkling about the twist in this, but even that didn’t take away from the amazing story that Tracey Garvis-Graves has crafted here. From the memorable characters, to the beautiful writing, to the unique plot, I was hooked and devoured this in a single day. This story has something for everyone, some steamy romance, some funny lighthearted banter, and even some heart-breaking sadness… but through it all, Graves tells a wonderful story of falling in love that will have you so invested you’ll be begging for more as you turn the last page.

Thank you to the author for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart-Shaped Hack.

May 8, 2015 – Shelved
May 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 15, 2015 – Started Reading
August 15, 2015 –
11.0% "I am loving the banter between these two already!!"
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: ebook-format
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: read-in-2015
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: galley-arc
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: romance
August 15, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Terrfic review Jaime.