Geoff's Reviews > Whores for Gloria

Whores for Gloria by William T. Vollmann

Here we have a novel or novella about unhappy love and those who are bound in peculiarly painful kinds of loneliness. Here is a story about religious devotion to an ideal, and a kind of Mother Mary made of scraps one might assemble scouring the shores of hell. Or a Mary Magdalene and her seven demons stitched together out of pieces of other people's sad stories. Here we have a novella about those made to sin by the need of money. Here we have a novel about what's washed up when we send people to kill other people in far away wars and leave them in the wind when they return, leave them to waste when they return. A novella about America and its cruelty. Here we have a novel or novella about being locked out of Paradise. Hell is on earth and the residents of hell look a lot like you and me. Here on earth we trade each other our sufferings and loneliness as bone-currency while the hot wind howls our voices down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whores for Gloria.

May 7, 2015 – Started Reading
May 7, 2015 – Shelved
May 7, 2015 –
page 23
16.67% "So, then - this is a religious book."
May 7, 2015 –
page 40
28.99% "description\n \n In the garden where I'm reading Gloria during lunch..."
May 8, 2015 –
page 52
37.68% "By reading Vollmann and Zizek, are we not equipping ourselves all the better to face the modern world, the realities of our world? Maybe after Gloria I'll read Living In The End Times, for like, harmony."
May 8, 2015 –
page 53
38.41% ""Phyllis became secret too, hid herself in herself until 1969 when she was sixteen and the sun came up and spread its light in all directions like a bright yellow dress because Phyllis had met Shawna, who was a real transvestite, and Shawna saw the beautiful secret in Phyllis and looked into Phyllis's eyes knowing she could let it out so that it could shout and dance and make Phyllis happy as Shawna was happy...""
May 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Kyle This is the book that sold me on Vollmann. Some of his best prose (from what I've read so far [admittedly not enough]) is in this novella., in my opinion.