Lara's Reviews > Here Lies Arthur

Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve

Oct 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2011, young-adult, fantasy, historical-fiction, myths-and-legends

I wish I could rate this higher than three stars, because this is a really interesting and oddly delightful (for all the brutality) retelling of the Arthurian legends--sort of a "here's where all those crazy stories came from and here's what really happened." I found it clever and I liked how Reeve isn't always blatant about which stories he's revising, but if you know your Arthurian legends fairly well, you'll spot them. So full marks for that. The problem I had was that I never really felt fully-invested in the story--there was really nobody I got very attached to, including Gwyn/Gwyna, the main character. There really wasn't much emotion here, and maybe that's sort of the point, that the honor and beauty and hope of the Arthurian legends are a far cry from what reality might lie behind them. I get that, but it made for a somewhat dull read at times. For me, anyway. It might be one that's better on second read though--I'll definitely give it another try at some point!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Here Lies Arthur.

October 22, 2010 – Shelved