Dani's Reviews > Your Body is My Prison

Your Body is My Prison by Oksana Leslie

Your Body is My Prison is a sci-fi drama charged with lots of gory scenes. I've never thought this mix of genres would be so interesting.

Humanoids from Cassiopeia don't feel pain so they have chosen Earth as a punishment for their criminals. Tavy, a healer from that planet has become a murderer and is sent to Earth, to inhabit the body of Michelle. Michelle is a teenage girl that one day causes an accident while driving distracted. Tavy must suffer through her body and mind, this process is called "rehabilitation".

I liked how this "rehabilitation" consist of little trips to different places where cruelty is being committed. That way we can see a lot of awful rituals from different cultures and we get to think about the present of the human race.

I loved the drama. Aside from the sci-fi elements, there is a family drama that takes place in Michelle's home. Her stepdad, after this accident she caused, becomes abusive and resentful. Her life is hell. She has to deal with the consequences of the accident, the new soul inhabiting her body, and the constant harassment and accusations Fred makes.

When I started the book I was a little bit worried because I had read a review that said it was not written in proper english, but the edition is professional and I have found only 1 typo in the whole book (a thing that could have happen to anybody).

However, I have to admit that the dialogues that involved Michelle and her boyfriend, Steve, were a little bit weird because of the abrupt way in which they often ended.

The novel is fast-paced, full of gory scenes that were astonishingly developed and a story worth discussing. I have noted before that some religious rituals or cultural traditions are depicted as cruel realities that still plague our planet. I don't think there is anything offensive about that, I think that we can all agree that those acts of violence cannot be justified.

The book is quite spiritual, though. And for me that was not a good thing because I'm not very spiritual. I enjoyed that Michelle found a book about dream control and tried to achieve it, but that book also said that by changing your diet you could acquire that ability. It seemed to simple a resolution for such a complex situation.

Another thing that annoyed me a little was that the ending is too happy for my taste, but for people that likes an optimistic vision of life, the book is perfect. It gives hope and shows the way the situations can drastically change in very little time.

To summarise, Your Body is My Prison is a thought-provoking book with a very original concept, and an amazing mix of science fiction with real life. It has its flaws but it's completely worth the read.

I will be waiting for Oksana's next book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Body is My Prison.

March 6, 2015 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 6, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
March 6, 2015 – Shelved as: coming-home (Paperback Edition)
May 6, 2015 – Started Reading
May 6, 2015 – Shelved
May 6, 2015 –
3.0% ""(...)I attack her viciously, as if I want to rip the whole world apart with each strike. She falls on the floor and tries to cover her head. \n Oh my God, she has my face!..."\n \n \n That makes an intriguing start!"
May 7, 2015 –
12.0% "I don't really know what's happening, but it's something very, very wicked."
May 9, 2015 –
17.0% "Hell, that's terrible..."
May 9, 2015 –
20.0% ""(...)Maybe they burn some type of incense to mask the odor of death, she thought.\n An image of the dead cat tickled her memory. Nausea\n knocked on the girl’s throat...""
May 9, 2015 –
22.0% ""(...)Doctors serve life; we serve death. It is part of our reality, don’t you think so?...""
May 10, 2015 –
26.0% "So many feelings..."
May 10, 2015 –
32.0% "I want to know more abour the prisoner..."
May 11, 2015 –
40.0% ""(...)“Let’s learn to live in harmony without recrimination. I had also thought I could never kill anyone. We never know ourselves fully. What are we capable of doing? Where are the boundaries of our fears? What does it take to cause real rage, and how do we destroy the feeling of shame and guilt?”...""
May 13, 2015 –
46.0% ""(...)“You do not have to put up with a man because he can do something you cannot. Throw away disgust and guilt from your heart and mind. If the world around you is not able to change, change yourself.” \n “Says who?” Michelle could not believe her ears...""
May 14, 2015 –
58.0% ""(...)The woman was murmuring something to herself. It was a song. No. It was a prayer. No. She was reciting spells! The shaman had an aluminum basin near her with a dark bird in it. The bird’s legs were bound. Suddenly, Michelle realized she was that bird, and it was terrifying. The knife in the shaman’s hand was getting closer and closer. Slice! Sharp pain shook her body..."\n \n Gross! The gore is amazing."
May 19, 2015 –
May 30, 2015 –
70.0% "Someone is losing her mind...\n \n "(...)“Tavy, how do the Keepers measure your sentence? By weeks or by years?”\n Tavy shook his head solemnly.\n “My sentence is measured in blood.”...""
May 31, 2015 –
83.0% ""(...)The silence was nice. Comfortable. She remembered a scene from the movie Pulp Fiction. One of the secondary characters, Mia Wallace, had said, “That’s when you know you’ve found somebody special. When you can just shut up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.”...""
June 1, 2015 – Finished Reading