Jennilyn's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

May 06, 2015

bookshelves: owned-physical

***Also posted on RurouniJenniReads***

This book deserved the heaps of praises it received. I feel so unworthy posting anything about it. So I’ll be quick here and just basically give a walkthrough of my reading experience.

I learned about the book because of its movie adaptation. I am more of a watch the movie before read the book kind of person. For a change, I want to be able to read the book first. I remember reading the summary at the back when I picked up a copy from the bookstore shelf. I thought how seemingly ordinary the premise was: a mystery-thriller involving a missing wife with the husband as the primary suspect. Also, I am initially daunted when I saw that it’s over 500 pages long because I am no good with lengthy novels. Honestly, I would not have bought a copy if not for all the hype surrounding it.

It took days before I finally summoned the will to read it. The book was divided into three parts. I did a quick flip through the pages first because that’s what I always do with thick books. It was a major folly that I did that because the titles of the three parts gave me a general idea of what the plot will be. I’m still hating on myself a little for what I did. For spoiler-haters, consider yourself warned: be patient and do not go scanning unread pages like me.

Each chapter is narrrated in the alternating points of view of Nick and Amy, which for me is a brilliant way to engage the readers to analyze both characters intimately. Both main characters feel so human: with their own faults and biases, background relationships with parents, thought processes when making decisions, etc. During the first part, the author made a wonderful job of making me feel torn on whose side to root for. The second part, well I couldn’t say much without spoilers, so let’s just say was when all my sanity bolts turned loose. It’s craaazy. I am in deep pensive mood in assessing all that happened by the time I was in the third part. After I turned the last page I couldn’t contain all the crazy anymore and came to Twitter to sum up all my feelings for the ending: Just finished reading Gone Girl and I wonder how could an ending be so beautiful and sad and terrifying all at once. #mustread

The hashtag says it all. Now time to watch the movie adaptation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

May 6, 2015 – Started Reading
May 6, 2015 – Shelved
May 6, 2015 –
page 371
66.85% "reading before seeing the movie."
May 7, 2015 – Finished Reading